//1\\

hey! you might not know me, but my names sal!!

I write on my hand for the 3rd time this week. The old pen marks are still visible on my hand from before.

When I flip my arm over, I see all the new and old cuts that plague my life. I've tried to quit, honest, but I can't stop--it won't let me stop.

I hope my soulmate can't see these.

I'm 17 and haven't found my soulmate yet, but some of my other friends had.

Todd was with Neil, Maple has Chug, Larry found out that his is nearby and talks to her. It's really only Ash and I left.

"Why won't you just answer me?" I mumble to myself.

I mean, I shouldn't be surprised, Dad has never found his soulmate. Him and Mom just loved each other too much to care. My granddad never found his either, so it might just run in the family.

I wonder how my life would've been if Mom had found her true love.

I shake the thoughts away before I can dwell on them.

Things would've probably turned out the same, just with a different person in my life. I have no room to complain about my dad, he's perfect for me.

I hear my door creak open and Gizmo, my cat, trots up to me and nuzzles into my arm.

I smirk and give him all my love. "Giz, any luck with your lover?" I ask playfully. For a second, I swear I can see him smile, but when I look again it's gone.

I lay there petting him on the floor for a while when my walkie talkie goes off.

"Yo, Sally Face," Larry's scratchy voice echos through my quiet room.

I pick up the walkie talkie, "Yeah, Larry Face?" Gizmo whines at the lack of attention, so I try to multi task.

"Mom's not home and the gang's coming down, wanna hang?" I hear something fall in the background and he curses loudly. I laugh.

"Sure, gimme like 5 minutes," I turn my walkie talkie off and get dressed.

I grab a random baggy, purple hoodie out of my closet, along with some leggings, and throw them on.

I leave my wild curls down, and grab my prosthetic.

I normally don't wear it around my friends, but I don't know who all is going to be there, really.

I feed Gizmo before I leave and yell to Dad that I'm going to Larry's. "Seeya later, buddy," He hollers back from his bedroom.

I pat my sweatshirt pocket to make sure I have my phone, keycards, and cigarettes. I do.

I'm a bit of a smoker, but hell, everyone is dying slowly so I'm just speeding up the process.

I get into the elevator along with Todd, Maple, and Chug coincidentally.

"Heya, Sal," Maple greets me in her sing-song voice.

"Sup, Maple, you look pretty today," She was wearing a white lace crop top, some high waisted jeans, and a zip up black jacket.

She blushed a bit, "Thank you, Sally," Chug was standing next to her, hugging her arm. I smiled at the two lovebirds.

"So, Sal, any luck with your soulmate yet?" Todd asks out of the blue, "I see the writing on your hand," he explains.

I sigh, "not yet," I lean against the elevator wall, "trying to not think about my soulmate anymore,"

He nods right as the elevator stops.

Todd goes to knock on the door, but I just open it and go on in. Larry and I are basically brothers, I mean, I love him like one.

"Yo, Larry face, I'm raiding your pantry," I yell in the direction of his room. "Ey, Todd, can you make sure that only the gang is here?" I motion to my face— or lack thereof.

He nods, pushes his glasses up, and heads for Larry's room.

"Yes, it appears that it's only us here," He yells at me and I proceed to finally take my prosthetic off. It gets uncomfortable after a while.

"Thanks, nerd!"

I find a cup of ramen and fix it for myself. The others can fend for themselves.

"Hey Sal!" Chug yells for me, "grab me some Cheetos," I roll my eyes jokingly at the fat-ass I call my friend and just grab the whole bag of assorted snacks Larry keeps for him.

The water for my ramen is boiling, so I pour it into the cup and head for Larry's room.

Ash is setting up some video games, Maple and Chug are cuddling in the corner, Todd is doing something on his phone (probably texting Neil), and Larry is failing to style his hair in a man bun.

I snort back a laugh and go over to help. "Need some help with your mane, lion boy?"

He rolls his eyes at me then gives in.

The reason he was having so much trouble is that his hair was a fucking rat's nest. Not that I have room to complain, though.

After I brush his hair out, it's a lot easier to fix it.

"Welcome to the Sal-on, how can I help?" I barely get through that bit without laughing.

Larry starts wheezing, though. Ash is cackling like a witch. Todd and Chug groan. Maple is oblivious.

"Just fuck me up," Larry says while trying to calm down.

I laugh creepily under my breath and he whispers a small 'oh no'.

After what feels like hours of messing with his hair, I finally get it the way I want. He has two long pig tails and he looks like Hatsune Miku if she stopped getting her hair dyed.

"Oh no," He says again when he looks into the mirror.

I sit up proudly and marvel at my work.

This time, everyone is flat out dying when they look at Larry's hair. Neil had arrived maybe 5 minutes ago, so he's almost crying from laughing so hard.

I feel a harsh pain in my shoulder. "Ow, fuck," It feels like someone just kicked my shoulder.

"What is it, Sal?" Ash turns to look at me.

I rub my shoulder blade, "A weird cramp thing in my shoulder,"

Todd looks like he's deep in thought. He stands up and asks me to lift my shirt up so he can see my back.

I do, and hear him gasp. "What?"

"I thought so..." He trails off.

"That doesn't answer my question, dude," I start to get annoyed.

"There's an outline of a bruise here," He touches my back with his icy cold fingers. "I can only assume that it's from your soulmate,"

My breath hitches and my mind starts racing.

I haven't gotten a physical response from then in a few months— and the last one was also a bruise. I hope they're okay, they'd better be okay, I mean. They've got to be alive to love me, damnit.

"i might try doin shorter chapters"
me from 20 minutes ago is a huge liar 😂

10-3-22 edit!! i changed a few things in this chapter to be a little more realistic to the 90s when this wouldve taken place, but not much!