10: Alliance

Meanwhile, at Izzy's house

Japan

All the Digidestined were gathered in Izzy's room as Davis explained everything that had just happened.

Yolei looked at Davis with doubt. "You are telling me two kids dressed as a 'Vault Dweller' from Fallout and 'Dante the demon slayer' from Devil May Cry popped out of nowhere, and defeated BlackWarGreymon? Are you sick or something Davis?!"

"What?!" Davis snapped. "I'm not sick! Besides, why would I lie!? I'm being serious about this..."

"I think she meant 'sick-in-the head' to be honest..." Cody corrected.

A light shined from Izzy's computer. The next thing they knew, a projection filled the room. Gennai was standing in the middle of the room, with seven kids in various outfits, and BlackWarGreymon!

"Testing, one two three. You reading this, DigiDestined?" Gennai asked.

"Gennai!" Yolei exclaimed. "What is going on? Where are..."

"I'm in a pocket virtual world called Lyoko. And these children I'm with have the answers you seek about the new towers appearing in Digi-world, along with Owikawa's strange behavior."

# # # # #

"So this 'XANA' Is behind this?" Kari asked after the explanation.

"Pretty much." Aelita answered. "Right now, Jeremie is keeping tabs on Lyoko's towers. We have a feeling he might try something with them."

"What about Digi-World's towers?" Ken asked.

"We can't scan them, unfortunately." Aelita explained. "The supercomputer's super-scan runs into a data error whenever trying to scan Digi-World's towers."

"Then some of us will have to go on patrol in Digi-world at regular intervals." Yolei said. "I think it would be best if we sent four at a time in the patrols: Two DigiDestined accompanied by two Lyoko warriors. That way, in case one of the towers was activated, we would hopefully be able to carry out a preemptive strike on the tower while waiting for reinforcements, and for Aelita to deactivate it."

"But what if Aelita gets captured in Lyoko or Digi-world, and what about this XANA code that contradicts the Lyoko Code?" TK questioned. "The one they said destroys sectors? What kind of harm could that do to Digi-world if XANA-Owikawa got his hands on her?"

"For one, The XANA code only works on Lyoko sectors. Not Digi-world. Besides, that's a chance we will have to take." Gennai said. "Now, who would like the honors of first patrol?"

"I think Kyle should be one of them." Ulrich said. "As for who else he wants to go with him, let him choose."

"Really?" Kyle said with a deadpan.

"It makes logical sense." Jeremie said. "He knows the layout of Digi-world better than us. So the question remains, who goes with him?"

"Why don't you accompany me then, Ulrich?" Kyle said.

"Uh, What?" Ulrich looked at Kyle.

"Well, you did volunteer me. Plus, you said let me choose. So I've chosen you."

Ulrich growled for a moment. "Fine! But don't get any wise ideas! Especially about running off!"

"What would I have to gain from that?" Kyle said. "Besides, aren't we after the same thing here?"

William looked at Kyle sternly. "I think that depends on certain factors."

"What about BlackWarGreymon?" Kev asked. "We can't just have him running around."

Gennai then held up his hand. There was a bright glow, a flash of light. Then, there was a new style Digivice in his hand, the same as Kyle's! Along with a power-card deck!

"He needs someone to learn from." Gennai said. "As for who, I believe the choice is clear. Ulrich Stern, BlackWarGreymon is now your chosen Digimon." He gave Ulrich the Digivice and deck.

Ulrich was unsure whether he wanted to accept, but realized this would further agitate Kyle. That would work in his book.

"Very well." He said, taking the Digivice and cards.

"Gennai, are you serious?!" Kyle pipped up. "After all BlackWarGreymon did?"

"I don't think you are in much of a position to argue Kyle." Aelita said sternly. "Now, we all better get some rest. I think we should start patrolling in the early morning hours, starting tomorrow. We should keep an eye on local and world events, and especially on Owikawa."

"Agreed." Kari said. "We'll meet on File island on the top of Infinite mountain tomorrow, twelve hours from now. See you then."

# # # # # # # # # # #

Owikawa-XANA felt satisfied after taking down MaloMyotismon from his position. Now, he had all the resources he needed. And the data... So much data, so much new info... It was satisfying to have. Though it would take a while to sort through it all.

He wondered for a moment what he would do once he had total control.

But he shifted to other important tasks. Such as getting rid of those pesky Lyoko Warriors, and their new allies, the DigiDestined. It was time for a small power play.

"Beelzemon!" Owikawa-XANA called forth one of his new slaves. "I think it's time you payed your old friend, Kyle, a visit. Take Leomon with you as well. He's been... Itching for some fun." He finished with a cackle that sounded like it would have waked the dead.

# # # # # # # # #

Back at Kadic academy...

BlackWarGreymon knelt on the window sill outside Ulrich and Odd's room. Ulrich had the window open, and they were having a conversation. Ulrich was trying to be patient with BlackWarGreymon, as he was asking Ulrich a lot of very difficult questions. Some of which Ulrich himself was unsure of the answer.

"But how do I know if I actually have a heart? Now that I'm a real digimon, I don't feel any different than when I was made out of control spires... How can I know for sure?" BlackWarGreymon continued.

Ulrich sighed. "You just know. Maybe you still need to figure out what you want out of life now that you actually are living, and not just a mannequin."

BlackWarGreymon looked puzzled. "What I... Want out of life...?"

"It is something everyone has to do." Ulrich continued. "And sometimes it takes time for us to find the answer. Sometimes even I don't know what I want out of life, even when I think I have it all figured out. But I will tell you something. I find the answer, even if it takes me a while. Because I don't give up, and I don't quit. Now come in through the window, It's cold outside and I got some tea here for us to drink. It's going to snow tonight, and the last thing I need is a Digimon with a cold."