CHAPTER 39

"Can I go home now?" asked Axky excitedly for the tenth time that morning.

"No." said Jack exasperatedly from beside Axky's bed. Some kindly nurse had given him two extra sugary doughnuts for his breakfast. Axky had also managed to sneak out a chocolate granola bar from Jack's side pocket and eaten that too. And now he was on an unending sugar high.

"But I'm borrrred. I wanna run around." complained Axky. "When is the doctor gonna come? I wanna hit the gym."

"Good Lord Axky, you know sugar doesn't gel with you. Why'd you have to eat so much of it?" groaned Jack rubbing his temple tiredly. A splitting headache was setting in and if the doctor didn't come soon, Jack was pretty sure he'd just kidnap Axky and get the hell out of here.

"'cause it's FUN!" announced Axky loudly adding further to Jack's headache. Honestly, if he heard him shout one more time, Jack was sure his head would burst.

Thankfully, the door opened just then and a smiling doctor came in.

"Mr. Palasqua, I see you are in good spirits this morning." he said putting the stethoscope cords in his ears. "And here I thought you might need some aspirin."

He was about to set the two aspirin tablets back into his coat pocket when Jack reached his hand out.

"Can I have them please?" he asked hopefully. "I've been awake all night and soon have to return home to twin sons and a very angry wife."

"That's tough." commented the doctor and gave Jack one of the tablets. "I recommend rest for a day. Maybe take some flowers home for your wife."

The two middle aged men looked sympathetically at each other, each acknowledging how futile it was to fight with a spouse who had a knack for winning arguments. After a while, the nurse who had accompanied him coughed from behind and the doctor hastily returned his attention to the patient...the patient who now was attempting to sneak away, in all his backless hospital gown glory.

"Axky, man we really don't need to see that." groaned Jack covering his eyes with his palms. "I think I have to bleach my eyes."

Axky stopped trying to run away and quickly turned around with a sheepish smile.

"Damn, I forgot there's no cloth at the back." he muttered. The nurse quickly helped him return to the bed and explained to him that he couldn't leave until the doctor said so.

"I really wanna go home." Axky protested verbally but obeyed the nurse anyway. He lay still, humming a popular pop song, as the doctor checked his vitals and noted the condition of his wounds.

"You need to limit activity for the next couple of weeks." the doctor said, finally removing the  cold stethoscope receiver from Axky's chest. "You seem to be healing well. Make sure to take your medicines on time and come see me next week."

"You mean I can get out of here?" asked Axky happily.

"Yes, you can." said the doctor with a smile. "There are no broken bones. Keep applying the medicines in the prescriptions and the scarring should be minimal. There may be some trauma from the incident, so I've taken the liberty to set up a meeting with a psychiatrist next week as well."

"Thanks Doc. Yippee! I'm free!" announced Axky throwing away the covers and attempting to prance out of the hospital, but was held back by the vigilant nurse.

"Is he always this hyperactive?" inquired the doctor with eyebrows raised.

Jack sighed. "He's on a sugar high. Don't worry, his wife is on her way here. She can handle him."

***

Paula parked the car expertly and climbed out. Vicky was fast asleep at home and when the hospital called saying Axky was awake and in good health, she decided that Vicky need not be woken just yet. She left a small note by her bed and some money for a cab just in case.