chapter 26

During the drive home, Sultan could not hide his smile. He was going to be a dad. And he vowed to protect them with all his might.

Sultana was texting on her phone. "Hey Sultan," she said to him. She was making a video of the gun lean challenge. They both raised their right and left shoulders in sync when it reached the part of left, right.

Sultana told Sultan "You know I can never be a boring company." "There is never a dull moment with you." He winked at her.

When they reached home, he couldn't wait he he whirled her around. She smiled and buried her face at the crook of his neck.

"What about your promise Sulti?"  Her head was resting on his hard chest, on their bed swing in the backyard.
"The cake you ate is not enough?"
"Haba mana, Sulti, I thought you meant something that involves only me and you without cake you know." He wiggled his eyebrows with a mischievous glint. She gave him an epic lap dance. And he said silly things to her. She smacked his chest lightly. And he pinched her pointed nose, She tilted her head up so she could better see him. And when she did she captured her mouth with his. His hold tightened around her hip, as he moulded her closer to himself and he unleashed her with that shattering passion all over again...

_______

Days passed, weeks passed by. Motherhood was making changes in Sultana. She knew pregnant women gained weight, but she had lost ten Lb, Some of her clothes were not fitting her, she always wore palazzo pants or gowns.

She looked at her lanky figure in the mirror. She touched her chubby cheeks, the only thing she had been gifted and smiled at it, and her glowing skin. She was better now in her second trimester, she sickness had subdued.

She went downstairs to meet sultan. "Mia," He turned to face her. And she knelt behind him snaking her arms around his neck.

One look at him she could tell all was not well.  "What is it Sultan?" He was quiet for a while before he spoke. "It is mom."

"What about mom?" Her heart was beating fast...
"Remember I told you she was sick some few months back?"
"Yeah, she nodded. You told me she was better."

"Yeah, we all thought she was fine when she came back from the UK. After her treatment.

Until yesterday when ya Sakina told me her sickness has started to act up again.

Dad suggested they fly out. And she refused she said wants to continue her treatment in Nigeria."

"What is wrong with her?"

"She is suffering from cancer of the stomach."

Sultana's hand flew to mouth in shock. "Ya Allah, how is she feeling now?"
"I don't know hubb, I don't know how she must be feeling now, I think we should go visit her soon."

"Yes, Sultan we have to, I am so sorry  she will be fine kaji."

"I don't want anything to happen to her."

Sultana hugged him in her kneeling position from behind. "It is okay my love, She will be fine Insha Allah." She whispered in his ears.

*****
Sultana had never seen Sultan in such a sorrowful state. He was lost in his thoughts most of the time. Making calls at home every minute.

It was Sultana that would be there to cheer him up. And he will smile for a very long time after that.

"So when are we going to pick mom, she needs to start seeing the oncologist here in Abuja. I talked to ya sakinah, and she gave me his number. I fixed an appointment with him already next week."