Finality Of These Things

I never told you what I do for a living

Silence followed my half assed words as this man scrutinised my face, my gut sinking little by little as it dawned upon me that he was getting closer and closer to being my next. I wonder if he could see that I felt guilty about the whole ordeal with his impending death that was looming over his head.

I wonder if he even had the slightest clue that his death was going to happen before long.

Of course he didn't, I knew what I done for a living wasn't exactly the best thing to do for a hobby or pass time or essentially a job, but just because Mikey and I knew what I done, doesn't mean that this man would be able to figure me out within two seconds of sitting opposite me. It wasn't like everyone else that had ever laid eyes on me could out me as a killer and get me locked up before I ever thought of reaching my final goal.

The man brought the cup of steamy liquid to his mouth, hesitating to look over the rim of his cup at me before taking a mouthful bravely, not even wincing at the burn of the scalding coffee before placing his cup back onto the table, wrapping his tattooed hands around the cup. His gaze never left mine, his soft eyes burning straight through my lie, "Who really pissed you off, man?"

I growled, now had enough of having human contact other than Mikey, glaring at the man menacingly and baring my teeth as if I was a wild animal, sometimes believing myself that I had been brought up in the wild and that I wasn't even from a normal, human civilisation. Instead of showing any fear or any sign of moving away and never returning, the man stayed, lifting the cup to his mouth so he could take another mouthful before putting the cup back down.

He... He looked bored, disinterested of how I had acted, as if it was such a normal thing to when I got tired of someone's company. To be honest, he looked like he wanted to leave me because I wasn't entertaining enough for him, "Calm down, you're not a fucking dog. What's your name?"

I watched him uneasily as I tallied up all of my pros and cons of telling this near-stranger my identity and actually letting him know some information about me. The dark haired man made a sound of annoyance and rolled his eyes at me, "Fucking hell..." He mumbled to himself, straightening up in the space he occupied, "I'm Frank, now who the fuck are you."

The way he asked for my name, it didn't even sound like it was a question. Frank demanded to know my name now that I had that 'honour' of knowing my soon-to-be victim's identity, "I never said I had wanted to know what your name was," I started slowly, watching him drink more of his coffee, put it down and reach for a wooden stirrer, slowly, taking his time to stir his already mixed coffee.

"What makes if do important to yourself that you demand to know my name?"

Frank smiled down at his cup, taking his stirrer out to lick the coffee off of the wood, placing it down beside his cup before drinking just a little more, "Well, young friend. I would like to think that, by any chance, if you considered sharing something as accessible as your first name with me, there must be a possibility of us becoming good friends. But clearly I see that the task of getting your name from you and becoming said friends was starting to become an impossible task to prove myself on."

I gave a half smirk, tilting my head downwards as my hair fell in front of my eyes, more than likely blocking Frank's view of me as it certainly blocked how well I could see him, "Why would you want to become said friends with me? What gives you the impression that I want to become friends with you? I'm perfectly happy with being alone right now, thank you very much."

Frank nodded and smiled sarcastically, eyes going down to the table and over my notepads, one specifically that I had all the names and basic details on them, the first three names on the list with circles around them in either black or blue pen, the first two also with strikes through their names just to show I had dealt with them and they were exterminated the third person being my next target for elimination.

I saw Frank's eyes land on that exact notepad, his eyes scanning over the words, the names specifically, "So... Do you come here often? As a place to complete all your work and stuff?" He nodded his head in the direction of all my papers and drank more coffee, somehow not finished with how frequently he takes mouthfuls and he started looking around as if looking for someone.

"Yeah, it's nice to get out of my house and to actually do work in a public area." I said slowly, keeping my guard up in case he asks why the writing looked so angry and pissed off with the circling and crossing outs, trying to shift my notepad closer to myself.

Frank nodded slowly, then opening his mouth to ask about the words but got cut off by a shrill siren piercing through the gentle chatter, turning the atmosphere from a friendly one into a panicked one.

Frank's eyes widened and he turned his body around slightly and gazed at everyone looking around in a confused manner, not realising it was a fire alarm. I took that as my chance and I grabbed my laptop, trying to grab the rest of my things that were scattered and didn't even double check before I was out of the fire escape door, stuffing my papers away and sliding my laptop into its rightful place in the bag.

I looked through my bag, pausing around the back of the cafe to search properly to look for the notepad with the addresses of all my targets on there, panicking when it became apparent that I had left it behind on the table with Frank in my rush to get away from him, and he's probably seen the notepad. Maybe he would go to one of the addresses.

Frank will become aware that it wasn't part of my job to do whatever he thought it was that I done. I have absolutely no business with those people anymore.

Now that I have come to this predicament, I guess I only have one final decision to go through with.

I have to go after Frank and permanently quiet him.

Lol this took a few hours longer than I expected oops sorry, it won't happen again it will more than likely happen again oops