Chapter 10

"Lydia...." I trail off nervously. Her eyes are trained on the bottle of pills in her hand. "Lyd?" Her eyes stay trained on the bottle. She doesn't speak for so long it makes me nervous.

"What is this?" She asks staring at the small yet imposing orange cylinder. It's posed as a question but I can tell she already knows the answer. Tears start to well up in the corner of her eyes. "I knew when you came into school today that something was different. You're paler and skinnier and that atrocious thing is a wig." I subconsciously reach my hand up to touch my "atrocious" head of fake hair. "Don't," her voice brakes at the end, "don't tell me something's wrong with you. Nothing can be wrong with you! Nothing!" She screams. The tears start falling down her face and her mascara smears. "You're healthy and my best friend and you're fine. We'll continue going shopping and talking about boys and I won't have to worry about you." Her voice is barely a whisper but I hear what she's saying. Each word is like a stab in my gut.

"I'm so sorry." I apologize in a broken voice; as tears start to cascade down my face.

"What is it?" She asks drying her tears.

"Cancer." The word is like a trigger and almost immediately she starts crying again. The look of pain on her face is one that could be worse than any I saw in Mystic Falls. She's so innocent. I get up and pull her into my arms. "I'm going to be okay. The doctors say that I'm pretty much all set to get better now."

"I can't loose you Lily." Once again that deep hole of darkness creeps into my heart. I lost everyone didn't I? I don't want Lydia to loose anyone. I don't want her to break like I did. Go into some kind of crazy psychopathic stage or the cutting one.

"You won't Lydia. I'm right here. I'm right here and I'm always going to be here." I hear her sniffling and hold her tighter. Tears begin to fall down my face as well. Even though I promise to stay what if I can't? What if I die? I don't want to die. I have to protect Stiles and Scott. Not to mention Derek. I sigh and lean into Lydia's petite body.

~

It's weird. Our once only three person table seems to be filled with people. I look down at the lunch Klaus made for me and roll my eyes. Soup, strawberries, and goldfish. I think he has it in his mind that soup will actually help to heal me. I also think he's been slipping in drops of his blood. It's not helping to heal me at all.

After Lydia heard about my illness i feel like we instantly became closer. It's a secret only known between the two of us. Though it's a terrible secret. I glance out the corner of my eye to see Stiles playing with two goldfish he took out of my bag before plopping them in his mouth. I observe how his sharp jaw bone moves as he chews. And how his eyes lit up on his first bite. I feel myself begin to smile when he looks up at me.

"What?" He asks.

"What?"

"You're staring." He says flushed.

"Oh um...."

"Lily!" Allison shouts at me. "You're still coming to dinner right?" I let out a sigh of relief and nod my head. "Great I told my aunt all about you and she can't wait to meet you!"

"I can't wait to meet her!" My voice is an octave higher but I hope she doesn't notice. "Lydia are you sure you don't want to come?" I ask desperately. Jackson scoots closer to her and raps an arm around her possessively. She looks up at him with a seductive face.

"Sorry Lil I have plans." Jackass smirks and I gag. I fall over into Stiles.

"My virgin eyes Stiles!" I cry. He laughs and covers my eyes.

"Oh no! How dare you!" He says to Jackass. I giggle before grabbing his hands, pulling them off my eyes, and sitting correctly in my chair. I really don't want to be alone with Allison and her psychopathic aunt. If Lydia can't go though who will. Slowly a name creeps into my mind and I feel myself begin to smile deviously.

"Hey Allison! How bout I bring my aunt to this dinner thing tonight as well?"

"That'd be great!" I giggle menacingly under my breath. I look over at Stiles to see his face white.

"What?"

"That was terrifying." I laugh before realizing I'm still gripping his hands in mine. "But I thought you lived alone."

"When I went home last week they decided to come back with me." We're silent for a moment. "Ew you're sweating." I tease him.

"Them let go of my hands." He says mockingly. I grip them tighter.

"Nope!"

"She devil!"

"That's Lydia Stiles." I say clicking my tongue. Suddenly the bell rings and I let go of his hands standing up carefully as to avoid dizziness. "See you after school Batman." I say winking at Stiles. I walk toward my next class avoiding the tantalizingly stare I'm getting from Lydia. I smile and shake it off.

A/N I know another short chapter. I've been so busy with school and my family. I promise to make the next one longer! Any Ship Names?