The Rebuke And Rebuttal

***Aria's POV***

    Shit.  I was late to pick up Skye from school and I really didn't want to face Ezra after the stare-down he and Jake had on Main Street.  Well, I can't just not pick up my daughter from school.  I'll just have to suck it up and be a mature adult.  I can do that- right?

***Ezra's POV***

    "Goodbye, Millie.  I'll see you tomorrow!" I waved goodbye to another student and her mother.  I went back into the classroom to see who was left and found that it was only one student.  Skye Montgomery.  What was I going to do about that?  Well, I decided to wait five more minutes, then call Aria.  I doubted she forgot and was just late, but you can never be too careful.

    Just as I was picking up my cellphone to call Aria, I heard a sharp knock on the door.  I walked over, opened it, and saw a very frazzled looking Aria.  Seriously, she looked like she just sprinted four blocks and hopped a few cars, too.  I tried to talk to her, but she surged right past me and lifted up her daughter.  

    "Oh, Skye.  So sorry I was late.  I just couldn't get out of a meeting.  It wasn't even a fun one, either." she joked with her daughter who just laughed and twirled a piece of Aria's hair.

    I smiled quickly, but stopped when I thought of Aria's cold words.  

    Don't Ezra.  Just don't.

    The words that tore a hole through my heart.  

    Suddenly, she turned towards me and I was overwhelmed with her.  Her hair, her face, her lips, her soul.  I wanted so desperately to walk up and kiss her then, but I knew that she would hate it.  

    All of a sudden, my bubble was burst.  Aria started to walk out and I knew that I had to talk to her.

    "Hey, Aria, wait." I called after her.  She stuck her head back in the classroom, with Skye still in her arms.  "Um, do you want to talk about our encounter on Main Street?" I offered, trying to make it seem more casual than it actually was.

    Her gaze hardened.  "No thanks, Ezra.  I'll see you around."

    Well, that gave me my answer.  But, I knew that there was something fishy about that guy, Jake.  And, whether or not she wanted me to, I was going to find out the truth.  And I wouldn't stop until I cracked the case.