9. spy

I drive carefully through my neighbourhood's small streets, praying that Rose doesn't know what my car looks like. I'm a couple of meters behind her and she drives pretty fast.

——

Twenty minutes have now passed. Is she planning on getting out of the city? I should never have followed her. If she notices me, I'll be in trouble.

We are now in an odd neighbourhood, the part of the city I don't usually go too. It is known for its multiple crimes and drug deals. Loads of my friends come here quite often.

I see Rose parking her car on one large street and plan to park it on the other side. I see her get out of it in all her glory and entering a.. place? It doesn't have windows and the walls are painted black so I don't quite know. It is a building but it doesn't look like apartments on top of it. Now what?

I get out of my car and decide to go in there. I don't care if Rose sees me. I need to know.

I walk down the creepy street. The building is a couple of meters away. It is seven in the afternoon on a Sunday so there is barely nobody.

Once I get in front of the place, I look around once more. One door. We can't see through. No windows. No tags. No numbers. No names. What is this place?

I pull the door slightly and unfortunately, a bell rings. I notice music and neon lights. Is this some sort of club?

My eyes widen when a half naked woman makes her way towards me. Perhaps she is a sex worker. I have no idea what Rose is doing here, but I need to leave.

"What are you doing here, sweetheart?" The woman asks me, probably noticing my frightened expression.

"I got the wrong address. So sorry. Have a nice day." I try playing it cool and walk back to the door.

"That's okay, you can stay. You're 18 and older right?" She seemed genuine. I nod my head, why would I be impolite?

"What's your name? I'm Emily." She takes her hand out for me to shake. I can't just leave now.

"Serena." I smile

Suddenly, her expression changes.

"That's a nice name." She says normally, smiling at me.

I mumble a small thanks, feeling something odd.

"Are you looking for someone?" Emily asks me

"No, I got the wrong address." I repeat my lie

"That's a little weird, don't you think? Who gave you this address?" She smirks

"A- A friend, probably to prank me." I laugh nervously

Emily nods and bites her lip, probably knowing I'm lying.

"Want me to show you around?" Emily proposes. I look around ; a corridor leading to another room in which I catch a glimpse of strip bars, liquor and couches.

"That's okay, I'm leaving. Thank you." I say politely and prepare myself to leave

"She could show you around." I hear a familiar voice behind me say.