6. It Don't Come Easy

"What is it?" I inquired gently, seeing Paul was near on the verge of a mental breakdown, his hair disheveled and giant bags underneath his eyes from lack of sleep.

He wore a teeshirt and jeans which he rarely wore out of the house anymore, causing me to have a feeling this talk would be anything but good.

"What did you and George fight about?" He inquired biting at his thumbnail nervously.

"He didn't tell you?" I asked, shocked slightly.

"Well he wouldn't tell me, but I'm worried Poppy. He's not thinking clearly." He shook his head.

"What do you mean not thinking clearly?" I sighed rubbing my temples.

"He damn near quit the Beatles yesterday." Paul snapped, looking immediately sorrowful after he'd spoken.

My jaw dropped gobsmacked, unable to even begin to fathom what he was trying to tell me.

"He what?" I choked.

Paul nodded with one hand on his hip and the other holding his forehead.

"I called to ask him if he was good to start filming the beginning of next month, he went off about how life didn't revolve around the Beatles," he trailed of distressed.

"-We were fighting because he came home fuming from work. I was trying to tell him I was pregnant Paul." I explained frustratedly watching as Paul froze, his eyes widening at first in fear, then in joy.

"Pregnant?" He repeated back to me with a faint grin curling his lips upwards.

I nodded, my spirits lifting once I saw how excited he had become, Paul immediately extending out his arms for a hug.

"Congratulations." He exclaimed swaying me back and forth in his arms.

"Thanks Paulie." I smiled with a chuckle looking up to him, seeing a different sort of twinkle in his eyes than I used to, this one warmer and more friendly.

I knew why the look in his eyes had changed; he had met someone recently who had shown him that there's plenty of world out there to explore, Linda Eastman, I believe her name was.

Yes, I knew of course Jane and Paul were in a loving relationship, but something about that American photographer that had photographed the boys at their Sgt. Pepper release party sparked something in Paul I didn't see when he was with Jane anymore.

He had gone on for hours on the phone about how he'd met her at Bag O'Nails days prior to the release party and they'd really hit it off.

I think even if he never saw her again, it seemed to be understood that Paul was now looking for something I nor even Jane could give him.

"How long has it been?" He asked kindly, letting me go from his embrace to see if my baby bump was showing.

"The doctor says I'm about six weeks along." I laughed watching his eyes light up.

"Your baby's the size of a sweet pea!" Paul gasped happily with a bright grin.

"How d'you know that?" My eyebrows knitted together with confusion.

He cleared his throat.

"I read." He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

"What? Mommy magazines?" I laughed watching him roll his eyes.

"We should get you back to George y'know." Paul spoke becoming more serious, my expression falling immediately.

"I know." I became quiet, the idea of talking to George after yesterday making me uneasy.