15. Tragedy

"Poppy." George's expression softened as I came into his sights at the airport. Whether the surprise was to my content or dismay, I wasn't yet sure.

One thing I couldn't help was the impulsive wash of relief that flooded over my entire being as my eyes locked on his. No matter how mad I was I couldn't help the way I felt. I loved him despite what he had done, but there was trust that needed to be regained.

George had a way with women I knew couldn't be stopped, but not only had he decided to strain our new family, but Ringo's, who was walking alongside me, stopping with narrowed eyes as he spotted George.

"Will you be alright?" Ringo whispered to me motioning his head as he had one of his friends here to pick him up, asking me permission to go.

"I'll be fine," I nodded "don't wait too long to sort things out with Mo yeah?" I gave a hopeful grin which he returned with a kiss on the cheek before leaving George and I alone.

"Poppy, please look at me." George spoke after a moment of silence.

"Take me home please." I sighed looking up, but refusing to let my eyes meet his once again.

He let out a small sigh and motioned for me to go first, grabbing my bags before I could protest. I pursed my lips in thought, although it was hard feeling his presence right alongside me.

Once we'd made it to the car, I had yet to fully look at him as I wasn't sure how I could, I loved him yet the situation weighed heavily down on my shoulders.

"I promise you Poppy, you're the only girl for me. I made a huge mistake for kissing Maureen and I'll do anything to make it up to you love." He reached over the console of the car and placed his hands on mine.

My eyes welled with tears as I had become extra sensitive to everything lately considering my changing hormones. I found the strength to look up to him to see the genuine sorrow and guilt in his eyes, searching desperately for forgiveness from me.

"It's not just kissing Maureen George. It's the way I told you I'm pregnant during a fight, it's the way you're overly cautious about my relationship with Eric, it's how you haven't smiled in what seems like months because of work before I told you I was pregnant. George, I'm losing you." I watched through my clouded eyes as George's face turned down into gloom.

"No you haven't, here I am. Love, we can work to fix everything, I swear." George tucked a piece of hair behind my ear as he took my face in my hand, searching in my eyes trying to anticipate my reaction.

"I'm going to need time to trust you again." I trailed off looking deeply into his eyes, seeing his lips turn upwards slightly.

"I'll make it my duty to regain that trust." He smiled watching as I offered a small grin of my own.

Eagerly, he pressed his lips up to my with a lust and desperation that sent tingles down my spine an a warmth all over. I missed his lips, his gentle and caring nature, and, well, just about everything about him. For the first time in awhile I felt this was my George, not the annoyed or distant George, the one that I fell in love with and who wanted me.

"Wait till we get home." George smirked as we pulled apart from one another's lips.

I gasped at his naughtiness and hit his arm with a gasp refusing to smile just yet, casing him to almost giggle in joy, a sound I had so desperately missed.
                   ______________________
I hadn't believed he had actually meant what he'd said about getting back home until I saw it.

He'd made a beautiful nursery out of our guest room while Ringo and I were away, and I couldn't help but be in awe of his efforts; since we hadn't quite known the gender of the baby, the room was painted a light yellow and the toys and furniture were all equally for a boy as for a girl and I was perfectly content with it, because regardless of the gender this way our baby's room.

I felt tears prickle in my eyes.

"Oh George." I whispered with a small grin, covering my hands over my mouth in disbelief.

"I'm all in." George stepped in the room and moved over to one of his favourite acoustic guitars in the corner of the room.

"I can't wait until I can play to the baby." He smiled to himself, causing a glint of excitement rise in my chest.

"Me neither." I stepped in to pay closer attention to everything in the room.

On the dresser, there was multiple family photographs, but the one that warmed my heart was the picture of Brian and I on my wedding day.

"I miss him so much George." I sucked on my bottom lip.

George turned his attention from the guitar to the picture frame I was looking at.

"I know love, me too." He wrapped his hands around my shoulder, and, almost immediately, I laid my head on his chest as a reflex, and we stood in the room silently grieving for a moment.

Quite suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my stomach and it fully knocked me back in agony.

"Poppy?" George turned and inquired worriedly as I had jerked quickly a step behind, cradling my stomach.

"George I-" I tried to speak through the odd sensation that felt like I'd been kicked, I started to feel faint as George came to steady me.

"My stomach." I spoke barley conscious, feeling George sweep me up into his arms in a panic as he began to speak to me to keep me awake.

"Stay with me Poppy, we're going to the hospital, and everything will be alright, I promise you."