26. Wake Up My Love

"What can I do to get you to come home Poppy?" George asked defeatedly just as we walked out of the doctor's office.

"I don't know Geo," I shook my head, looking down to the ground. I really wished I could forgive him because I truly did miss him, but I felt betrayed. I had no clue how he could make it up to me, "I think I just need some more time." I spoke quietly, still ducking my head.

"You know I'm still madly love you, right? That is something I could never stop doing, love you.. I'm so sorry." George stopped seeming to choke on his words a bit getting too wound up in emotion.

"You know, you make it so hard to be mad at you." I huffed looking up to him, seeing he looked like a lost puppy, not knowing what to do.

"So?" Paul asked interrupting, standing to his feet as we had gotten back to the waiting room.

My attention shifted back to him, a large grin over my features.

"It's a boy." I laughed as his face lit up, coming over and lifting me up into a hug.

"Congratulations Geo." He spoke after we had broken apart, holding out his hand to shake. George had a grave look on his face as he had watched Paul's initial reaction, but shook his hand nonetheless.

"Just- take care of her, alright?" George spoke lowly to Paul, to which Paul nodded shyly.

Paul and I headed back to the car, splitting up from George.

"How did it go, with George?" Paul inquired s we had sat in the car, Paul starting up the car.

"I don't know. How can I move past it?" I slid my hands over my face tired of everything. I just wanted this mess to be over.

"Give Maureen a Glasgow kiss." Paul grit his teeth and scrunched his nose, evidently infuriated with Maureen.

"I'm serious, though that's tempting right about now." I let out a small, chuckle.

"I don't know." Paul spoke simply, the both of us going silent for the remainder of the car ride.

When we had returned to Cavendish, Paul had been surprised his front door had been unlocked.

"Paul!" Jane's voiced exclaimed happily as he had been the one to enter first, he being afraid it was a crazy fan of some sort that had broken in.

"Jane?" Paul sounded shocked, as if he hadn't expected her to be here as she had run over giving him a long embrace. I quickly became extremely uncomfortable, knowing if she knew about what happened between Paul and I just as I had with Maureen and George, she'd be crushed.

"I got let off from shooting early," she trailed of as she saw me, "Poppy? What are you doing here?" She asked excitedly, giving me a long hug as well.

Paul had crossed his arms, putting one hand to his mouth in a fist seeming extra uneasy and nervous as he watched Jane and I.

"Paul brought me to an ultrasound, it's  a boy." I forced a grin as she broke away from the hug, seeming over the moon.

"How's George? Where is he?" She asked unknowing of the situation.

"It's complicated right now." I nodded.

She retracted a bit, seeming sorry she had asked.

"Well, on the topic of good news," Jane smiled, lifting her left hand, immediately sending a bullet through my heart as I looked at the engagement ring on her finger.

"When?" I asked feeling out of breath, looking from her to Paul, a pained look in my eyes.

"Right before the opening of the Apple boutique." Paul explained, causing me to be taken aback, my head seeming heavy as I could feel a headache coming on.

"That's great. I'm, so happy for the two of you." I snapped back into the moment putting on the happiest smile I could possibly fake, looking back to Jane.

"You know though, I should be getting home to George.  We have some things to talk about," I said looking to Paul with a tight upper lip, "really, congratulations though, I can't wait for the wedding." I smiled hurrying out the door.

I wiped away the tears that were spilling from my eyes as I entered in my car, my jaw clenched feeling hopeless.

I contemplated getting on a plane to France and never coming back. I couldn't find it in me.

I drove back home hesitantly, knowing I needed to talk to George sooner or later.

                      ______________________

"Geo?" I asked as I opened the door, looking around with no George in sight.

"Poppy!" George slurred as he sat up from over the back of the couch he had laid, a whisky bottle in hand.

"George." I spoke frustratedly underneath my breath.

"I'm so sorry Poppy." He closed his eyes for a while, seeming more drunk that I had ever seen him.

Deciding against my gut, I went to sit beside him on the couch, knowing I couldn't just leave him this drunk and alone.

"You've said that George." I sighed looking at him with a slight disappointment in my eyes.

"I just keep doing things wrong." He whined out sadly, laying down so his head was on my lap, facing outward so I couldn't see his face.

I took a moment before fixing his hair, moving it away from his face.

"What do you mean?" I asked wanting him to elaborate because in this state I knew he'd talk.

"I don't want to be a deadbeat dad, like Frank," he referred to my father, making me smirk slightly, "I wanted to do better. I just kept, pushing you away." He stumbled over his words, barley seeming to get them out as his breathing  was slightly off, though it was probably due to the fact he was heavily intoxicated.

"I was so scared I would be like Frank, I pushed you away," he explained, rolling over to look up to me.

"I-I don't know why," He said with a shiver like he was cold, still refusing to open his eyes.

I was speechless, begging to feel sympathy for him.

He puffed his cheeks out, leaning over the edge and throwing up on the rug, causing me to groan out in annoyance.

"Sorry," he mumbled seeming to drift off as he laid his head back down on my lap, seeming to instantly go out cold.

"George." I scoffed, trying to move him off of me and wake him up, to no avail.

"George." I spoke louder and even more annoyed, moving out from under him rather roughly, his head hitting down on the pillow, still, not waking him up.

Panic began to hit me slightly, picking up his hand and dropping it down, jerking his entire body though still not waking up.

I checked his pulse, which was scarily faint.

"George?"