12. Not Guilty

"The mechanic will be here in a half an hour." Paul sighed as he walked up to George and I outside the bus, as it had just broken down in the middle of nowhere during our journey to the next stop.

George and I had decided to get some fresh air as I had become to feel ill in the stuffy bus atmosphere.

"Great." George spoke under his breath.

"Thank you for letting us know Paulie." I smiled, nugging George in the ribs.

"Yeah, Thanks." George sent a small grin.

"If you guys need anything at all, just let me know, but I've got to go talk to the driver." Paul nodded with a small grin mostly speaking to myself knowing George's head was somewhere else before dismissing himself before going to get back on to the bus.

I leaned against the bus with a sigh taking in my surroundings. It was a beautiful day with absolutely nothing but miles and miles of farmland. It was almost humorous how much of a wreck this film had already been, but I knew in the end they would pull it together, they had to.

Looking at George, I noticed he wouldn't look over in my direction much at all, but rather keeping his eyes glued to the far off nothingness. He had been hot and cold for some time, and I had begun to seriously worry because this wasn't the George I knew.

"George," I finally mustered up the courage to ask watching as he hummed in response, "why have you been so, distant?" I squeaked meekly, watching as he slowly shifted his attention over to my face.

He looked in my eyes, sorrow filling them before he looked down.

"I have to tell you something." He confessed slowly, right before the sound of someone stepping off the bus caused the two of us to look over.

To both of our surprise, it was John.

My chest tightened in fear as my eyes practically bulged out of their sockets. George and John's last encounter was anything but chummy, so I wondered what John would possibly want to say to the two of us so soon.

"I'm telling Yoko not to send letters any more." John spoke simply, taking a cigarette from his pocket and hanging it from his lips as he grabbed matches from his pocket.

I tried to form words but couldn't find any, that is the farthest thing from what I had expected him to say.

"Don't look so surprised." John looked up over the round rims of his glasses after lighting his cigarette, waving the match to put out its flame.

"Just like that?" I spoke unsure of whether he was just saying it or not.

He shrugged with a hesitant nod.

I knew I shouldn't be completely convinced he was telling the truth, but a weight lifted off my shoulders feeling this secret burden lifted because of his words. I wouldn't have to feel like I was lying to Cynthia because he said it was done. It may have been selfish, but with everything going on I couldn't deal with this John and Yoko thing too or else I felt I might lose my head.

"John." Paul called from inside the bus.

"So, it's settled then, and Cynthia doesn't need to know about this." John spoke staring George and I down gravely.

I bowed my head to avoid his eye contact as he slipped away back into the bus, leaving George in I both in a smog of confusion.

"Do you think he's really ending it?" George inquired after a beat, seeming to have his own thoughts formed already.

"I think, the less I know, the better. I don't need any more drama or stress right now." I sighed seeing the look on George's face turn down solemnly.

His sudden change in mood worried me slightly as I thought again of what he'd previously said before John had come outside.

"What is it you wanted to tell me?" I questioned with concern, remembering how distraught he'd looked when he had told me there was something he needed to say.

"I can tell you later, it isn't important." He shook his head looking at his hands.

Although I wanted to pry further desperately, I knew better. It would only push him away and no matter how badly I wanted to know, he would tell me sooner or later when he was ready. I just wasn't certain what to prepare for, because I hadn't yet had a clue to what was the matter.

I didn't want to let my mind wander on the subject either, so I quickly excused myself from George to try and talk to someone on the bus who could take my mind off things.

"Well maybe if you didn't treat this band like its yours, I wouldn't be so upset." John shouted at Paul with his rather infamous argument point at any fight they had. I noticed immediately the cameras were rolling and shivered, hoping it wouldn't be put out there for anyone to see, their fans were set on the idea that the boys never argued.

"Oh I've never heard that before, would you like to make a comment about my grannie songwriting while your at it?" Paul shot back having let John get under his skin although he knew better.

"Happy faces boys, cameras rolling." Ringo called over to the two bickering band mates with a grin.

John and Paul both narrowed their eyes at their drummer, causing him to raise his hands in innocence as he sunk back down into his seat.

As I maneuvered back to my seat ducking to avoid any attention, I looked around at all the misfits on the bus and questioned what was to come of this movie, but there was really only one way to find out.
                               _____________________________

The rest of the first week of filming went by fairly quickly and things for the most part seemed to go back to the sort of normal I was used to. John and Cynthia seemed relatively happy, and so did George despite what I had previously begun to worry about.

He still hadn't told me what he said he needed to before, so I began to assume myself it was unimportant.

The only thing that still seemed like an issue that had suddenly been put back into the limelight was Maureen's distance, and I had begun to seriously question if I had done anything to offend her.

The last straw had been the absolutely awful look I'd received from her at the terribly crowded chip shop the cast and crew had all stopped in at to eat, which nearly caused me to shout out to ask her what the problem was, but since I was right beside George and there was a large audience, I decided against it.

Fury clouded my vision as I watched her with a pounding heartbeat, noticing immediately when she went off to use the bathroom.

"Will you give me a minute Geo?" I smiled up to George, watching him nod before placing a peck down on my lips.

"Don't be too long." He smiled referring to the food we had just ordered.

"I won't. Promise." I nodded sending him a small grin before wiggling my way out of the crowd.

Although I knew I shouldn't have gone, I followed her from a distance to the washroom needing desperately to just speak to her and put an end to this silent treatment.

Taking a few deep breaths I went to open the bathroom door gently, hearing Cynthia and Maureen talking on the other side as I opened the door a sliver.

"Cynthia, I seriously can't even look at her without feeling sick to my stomach."

Okay, ouch.

"Mo, you have to just tell her. I'm tired of lying and I know you are too." Cynthia spoke in a motherly fashion, causing my heart beat to pound harder against my ribs, feeling even more frustrated knowing there was something I was being lied to about

"Well, it isn't exactly the easiest to tell her 'hey, how are you? I snogged your husband' now is it?"