23. So Sad

"Well that spoiled the party didn't it?" Paul laughed uncomfortably in attempt to make light of the situation, looking down at the floor and taking a sip of his apple juice when George gave him a solemn glare.

"Is it true?" Someone called putting through the sea of people.

Reporters began to near asking questions, and I tugged on George's sleeve trying to tell him our departure was urgent.

George took my hand and we began to duck out to the nearest back exit quickly, not wanting to be bombarded with questions after having been outed to so many people like that.

I was worried about the complete and utter look of hatred George had glued to his features.

I was afraid to say anything as we rushed into the car, many reporters already in our pursuit.

As we had both gotten into the car safely, George put his head against the steering wheel, resting his arms on top of the wheel.

"It could've been worse, he could've said he loves me." I joked, immediately wanting to take it back upon seeing George's expression.

"Not funny Penelope." I spoke after clearing my throat uncomfortably, seeing he was gravely serious, causing me to become flustered.

"He took this away from us, from you." George spoke looking helplessly at me causing my heart to break slightly because of his worry.

"This is still our baby George, nothing is going to change that." I grinned to show him I was alright so he would feel better though I was distraught over what Eric had just done myself.

"I just, I don't know." He looked beyond aggravated with the situation and I wasn't sure there'd be anything else I could say to make him feel better in the moment, so I remained silent.

__________________________

George and I had continued on with the photoshoot the next day, having all the lads over, mainly for the sole purpose of having Paul talk to Linda after she photographed the pictures. I wasn't fond of having John over or Maureen since she and Ringo had just gotten back from their vacation and decided to come over together.

George seemed distant towards everyone that day though I could tell he was trying. Eric had really gotten to him yesterday, and I knew he had barley slept yesterday night. He was in a strange headspace was all, perhaps with this added pressure on top of the pressure we had both been feeling from the pregnancy and our soon to be parenthood.

"We're really having a baby, aren't we?" George grinned though it came out more weary that intended, causing my stomach to churn unsettlingly. He was apprehensive about fatherhood it seemed, and I had a feeling Eric had brought that out of him.

"Yes." I smiled up to him as Linda had snapped a picture of the two of us more candidly.

"You two are so sweet." She had a look of awe on her face that made me smile, catching a glimpse of Paul staring at her while standing next to John, before looking back over to George merrily.

After the pictures had been taken, it became later on in the evening, and we all began to wrap up the day. Paul had gone off soon after Linda had, then John and Cynthia and Ringo and Maureen were leaving. I didn't dare look John in the eyes, though I missed him. He had for so long been like an older brother to me and this secret was breaking my heart because though I knew it would hurt Cynthia I loved John, I still do, I couldn't be the one to break his marriage up though morally it would be the right thing to do telling Cyn.

"Goodbye Poppy." John spoke directly to me in a genuine comforting sort of way that caused my heart to break more that I couldn't find it in me to say it back.

When he noticed I had pretended not to hear him as I turned to Ringo who was putting his hat back on, he turned away out the door sullenly.

"Oh, I forgot my jacket, George said he'd grab it before but he must've gotten tied up." Cynthia spoke just before she had gotten out the door.

"Oh, I'll grab it love don't worry about it, it's just in our guest bedroom I think." I grinned before rushing over to the room so she wouldn't have to wait long.

I noticed the door to the guest room had already been opened, causing my heart to sink.

I peered into the room hesitantly, an instant wave of regret washing over me as I did so.

George had Maureen pinning him to the wall where one of my paintings were hung, kissing him in my own house.

I didn't dare make a sound as I watched, feeling as if someone had just took a mallet to my chest and began breaking it.

"Mo, come on-" George slid away from her guiltily, seemingly sour before he looked to the door to see me, his face sinking lower to a look of absolute dread and painful sorrow.

"I can explain Pop-" George began as Maureen rushed out of the room with Cynthia's coat.

"-I think I've seen enough." I stood with wide eyes, fixated to my painting where George had been pinned.

"She kissed me, I didn't- it was a mistake, I should've stopped right away." George looked desperately sorry, nearly begging for me to understand as he rambled on.

"Mistakes don't happen twice with the same person George." I could feel my cheeks heat as tears rose to my eyes.

I could hear the door close as everyone left.

"I know, I just-"

"I'm- I need to leave." I nodded stepping away from him furiously, feeling as if I would do something terrible if I stayed.

"What?" He grabbed my hand to stop me before I retracted it swiftly.

"I think we need a break, to think clearly yeah? So you can decide which one of your mates you'd like to go after next, yeah?" I spoke bitterly, begging to storm off to grab my keys.

"What are you saying?" George sounded frustrated yet nervous with what I meant.

"George, I need you to decide if you want to be a father." I spoke rather brutally honest as I knew that was what bothered him from yesterday.

I didn't bother looking up because I knew id fall back into his arms telling him it was alright like I always seemed to do. Not this time.

"Don't go, please." I heard George beg as I stormed off to my car, no exact direction of where to go.

I began driving aimlessly, ending somewhere that surprised myself, 7 Cavendish avenue.