18. Layla

"Did I mention how sexy you look tonight?" George smiled pinching my bottom as we entered the door into Eric's gig.

I nearly yelled at this in surprised, though I had known George had become tipsy over the course of dinner. I wished I could've too, I'm sure I'd need it soon enough.

"George, we're in public, need I remind you."  I laughed grabbing his hand and leading him toward the side of the venue closer to security to be safe from fans and reporters, though this was one of their more low key performances.

"I just want to appreciate the mother of my child, that's all." He said in attempt to act seductive, causing me to smile though I wanted to fight it.

"Well, can you do it without touching me arse?" I looked at him, amused by his behaviour.

He hesitated to think for a moment.

"No." He looked back at me, completely serious.

When we found a safe enough spot, George and I had begun to listen in without too much of a hassle from fans or reporters, who I was yet to see any of, and I was beyond thankful for that. Cream was already playing their set, and everyone's attention was drawn to them, absolutely enthralled with the performance.

George and I were enjoying the music, and for once I felt that George wasn't worried about Eric stealing me away from him, which would never happen.

It wasn't long for that brief moment of bliss to end abruptly, as Eric's setlist has an addition that would change everything.

"This is a song I wrote, for someone very important to me," he scanned through the crowd, looking for someone, "who I know hasn't been getting treated the way she should be." He received some hollers from the women in the crowd as he began.

"What'll you do when you get lonely
And nobody's waiting by your side?
You've been running and hiding much too long
You know it's just your foolish pride"

I felt my stomach drop.

"Layla, you've got me on my knees
Layla, I'm begging, darling please
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind"

He didn't.

"I tried to give you consolation
When your old man had let you down
Like a fool, I fell in love with you
You turned my whole world upside down"

I felt my chest tighten in panic, slowly turning my head to George, who looked beyond furious, his eyes burning into Eric, no longer dancing and enjoying himself as he was moments ago.

When Eric's eyes had finally met mine and realized what he'd done, it was too late to take back everything he'd sang. He continued to play, jerking his head away from George and I quickly.

"Now do u believe me when I say he's in love with you?" His jaw clenched as he kept his eyes unmoving from Eric.

"George, you know how I feel. I'm not interested in Eric in that way, and I'll make that clear to him right after he gets offstage, I promise." I offered feeling so sorry George had to listen to this song, feeling like this was creating a thicker tension between us than even he and Maureen's kiss had.

"If you don't, I will." George grumbled angrily, staring down Eric grimly.
                            ____________

After the set, I had managed to convince George to take a moment to cool down while I let Eric down gently, to avoid it becoming a big scene as I knew George would make it with his temper.

I bit my lip watching as Eric put his guitar back into its case, forcing myself to approach him though I'd rather do absolutely anything else.

"Eric," I scared him accidentally as I came into his sight.