I got you

It’s been a pretty rough couple of weeks for Peter. Spidermaning become a bit more challenging and less enjoyable. Liz had dumped him, not that he could blame her. Everyone walked away from Peter. He wouldn’t be surprised if sometime this month May left him too.

The bell rung signalling the dismissal of class. Ned and MJ were absent. Not even five steps from his seat and he got pushed down and his books spilled out from his arms. A kick to the back forced a grunt through his lips. A punch, two punches, more than Peter cares to count. Peter just got up, picked up his books already feeling defenseless enough.

With a heavily aching heart Peter trudges through the hallways to his locker. His locker fails. Peter miserably sighs, slightly lifting his head up and closing his eyes. He’s so done, so tired. And this goddamn locker. Since no one’s looking he uses his super strength to pry open the locker. He emotionlessly stuffs his belongings in his backpack. He turns on his phone and plugs in his earbuds in for some music.

I know everybody on this island, seems so happy on this island
Everything is by design
I know everybody on this island has a role on this island
So maybe I can roll with mine
I can lead with pride, I can make us strong
I'll be satisfied if I play along
But the voice inside sings a different song
What is wrong with me?

Peter lets the music wash through his ears as he keeps his head down to avoid his purple bruised eye. He walks empty and numb to the Avengers tower. He goes in his room and does his best to fix the wounds. But he’s not very good at it. He leaves his accelerated healing to it while he puts on The Flash to watch. Something that almost always picks him up. But not today.

There’s a knock on the door. Peter ignores it. He doesn’t want to talk to anyone, at least not right now. He’s just in too much pain. Not physically, but mentally. Whoever is knocking is very persistent and Peter is beginning to get upset. He yells, “WHAT?” Tony opens the door to see Peter bundled in at least five layers of blankets and eyes brimming with tears.

Tony’s face goes completely soft as he sees his son looking so sad and so broken. He walks over and sits down by Peter’s side. He envelops Peter in a big hug, gently rubbing circles on his back. He whispers softly, “Hey, hey, let it all out. It’s okay.” Peter began to sob into his father’s shoulder. Tony let him cry, easing his mind that it was all going to be okay. “Hey hey, it’s going to be okay. Ssh, it’s alright. It’s going to be okay. I’ve got you.” Peter remained curled in his father’s lap as he emptied his heart and soul out.

Tony let Peter cry because heck, everyone needed a good cry every now and then. Tony ran his fingers through Peter’s hair, “It’s alright. Let it out. Feel a bit better?” Peter slightly nodded, “I’m, I’m sorry for yelling, I was just, upset.” Tony couldn’t make out the last word but he understood. “It’s alright. I get you. You want to just stay here?” Peter nodded in a whisper, “Yes please.” Tony nodded, adjusting himself against the headboard of the bed, “Alrighty then. Let’s get comfy yeah?” Peter nodded, “Thank you.” Tony smiled fondly as he wiped Peter’s tears away with his thumb, “Hey, it’s okay, I’ve always got you.”