Chapter 1

Cinder opened her dull blue eyes to find herself in tree roots. She sighed and looked outside, the sun was beginning to rise up in the sky. It had been 5 moons ago that her mother had been killed by some wild cats. Cinder didn't remember much, she had only been 3 moons old when the incident happened. It was a faint memory; she had been living in an underground den that was in roots of trees. She rose to her paws and stretched, she would have to go into the forest and find food. Cinder hadn't eaten in 5 days and her pelt was matted in clumps. Her belly growled with hungry.

The smokey gray-and-white she-cat was about to go into the lush forest when she heard rustling in bush just to her far right. She quickly scrambled back to the back of the den to see a group of three cats. One of the cats was pale tabby tom with dark black stripes and leaf-green eyes, next to him was a young black-and-white tom, next to the small tom was a sleek black-and-gray tabby tom.

"What do you smell, Swiftpaw?" The pale tabby tom asked. Cinder couldn't help, but stare at the pale tabby.

The black-and-gray young tom sniffed the air and replied, "Fox, but it's stale and a weird smell I can't describe."

The black-and-gray tabby tom sniffed the air and snarled. The pale tabby also sniffed the air and pricked his ears, one of his ears had a V-shaped scar.

"Rouge!" Growled the sleek tom. "Longtail, I will warn Bluestar and I'll take Swiftpaw too. Come on!"

Swiftpaw and the tom quickly dashed in the direction they had come from. The pale tabby sniffed the air and made his way towards Cinder's den.

"Who's there?" He called. He poked his head in and his leaf-green eyes grew wide in shock. "What are you doing here?"