Chapter 8

Don walked into the den so Meryl wouldn't hear them.

"I thought she would be done facing him. I don't know what to tell her, she's going to get upset all over again" don said a mile a minute.

Greg felt bad for calling them with such bad news, but if she testified he maybe could be put away for life.

"I know don but this is a big deal. He could be put away for life and you wouldn't have to deal with him ever again" Greg said.

Don turned around to make sure she wasn't around to hear this.

"I'll have to talk to her and see how she's feeling. I mean I know she would want him put away ,but she may not want to be in the same room or even building as him" Don said making a Scotch.

"Just talk to her calmly and don't make her feel like she needs to decide now. His court date is in 2 weeks. Just let me know but than if she's up for it" Greg told Don.

"I know. I'm sure it'll be fine. Just let me talk to her see her side of the story. Thanks for calling" Don said sipping his drink.

"Sorry to call with such shitty news. Have a good rest of your night" Greg replied.

"You too. Bye" Don hung up.

Don was furious. He told his wife that she would never have to see him again. And yet now she has to stand up in front of everyone and tell her horrible story. There was no guarantee that he would be put away since there wasn't any DNA found in her. This was getting worse and worse and he didn't know how much more Meryl could take.

Don was still worked up over this that he chucked his glass of scotch at the wall. It shattered into a million pieces. It made him feel better but not much.

******

On the other side of the house Meryl was sitting and enjoying her piece of cake. She had a great time with her guys tonight. Even though Henry has a small time to visit, it was always good to see him. She wondered where don went. His phone rang and he just left the room. Meryl brushed it off and started to clean the island that has plates and cake in it. She put them in the dishwasher and the cake back on the counter with the cover. As she was walking out she heard glass breaking. It was coming from the den, so she ran to the den and saw Don. He was sitting on the couch with his head in his hands.

"Don? What the hell happened?" Meryl question taking his hands in hers.

"You have to testify against David in court. Greg called and told me just a few minutes ago. It's in 2 weeks and It could either get him out or put him in for the rest of his life. I told Greg that I'd get back to him" don said telling her all of this at once.

"Of course I'm going to testify. He can't be put on the streets preying on me and other women. I can't let that happen. For once I control his life, not the other way around" Meryl finished with tears in her eyes.

Don was about to say something when Henry came down the stairs. He burst into the den and saw his parents on the couch.

"What the hell was that noise?" He asked looking at them.

"Your dad dropped his glass. Everything is fine don't worry" Meryl said quickly covering.

Henry saw the glass broken on the ground and of course believed it. But something was off because his mother looks like she was crying. And don looked like he could kill somebody. Henry started to put two and two together. He started to assume that his dad was mad at his mom and threw his glass at her.

"Did you throw that at her?" Henry questioned Don angry.

"Of course not" don boomed "do you really think I would hurt her? Seriously? I'm trying to protect her. She doesn't need all this shit. She deserves the best of the best. I would never lay a single finger on her" Don said now standing up.