Chapter 9

It was a week later and Meryl and Don we're leaving for New York. They were loading the car up with their luggage because they were going to be there for about a week. Meryl was walking around the house and trying to get busy until they had to leave. She was nervous, but she knew she had to do this. She knew that if she did this is would save herself and many other women. Don had put the last bag in the car, so he went to find Meryl to tell her it's time to go.

*****

"Meryl at you ready to go?" Don yelled up the stairs.

"Yeah. I'm just trying to find my purse. I know I left it here somewhere" Meryl said coming down the stairs.

Don looked around and noticed her purse was on the couch. He went over and grabbed it.

"It's right here hun" don said giving it to her, " are you sure your feeling alright?".

"I'm fine. I'm just nervous and want to come back as soon as possible" Meryl said walking out the door.

They got out to the car and Don grabbed Meryl's hand. He squeezed it and she than knew it was gonna be alright. It was gonna be a long week, but with him by her side it was gonna be just fine.

******

She was running in the deep, deep, depths of the forest. She finally did it. Meryl escaped her captor and was running to find help. She kept turning around to see if he was behind her. She saw the road and had seen a couple of cars drive by. As she got to the road and car drove had blazed past her. And than she finally got one to stop. As she climbed in and buckled up, she saw it was her captor. He drove away with her in the car. Meryl was screaming and trying to open the door but couldn't. Everything was starting to get black and she couldn't move.

******

They were an hour away when don noticed Meryl was distressed. She was whimpering and saying 'no' and 'stop'. He pulled over and tried to wake her up, but she just kept wiggling.

"Mer hun, your fine just open your eyes and it'll be okay" don said.

Meryl opened her eyes and looked around and saw that she was in a car. Her dream was true. She had to get out of this car. Someone was holding her back though, so she couldn't get out.

She struggled with the man and finally was able to get out of the car. She noticed it looked a lot like the highway towards New York. She stopped running and realized it wasn't her captor trying to take her. It was her husband trying to get her to get back in the car.

"Meryl stop for a second and listen to me" don said as he finally caught up to her.

"I know your under a lot of stress this week. And I know that your scared to go. But it's gonna be okay, and I will be there with you" don told Meryl.

She looked at him and broke down, right there, on the side of the highway. She didn't understand why she had run out of the car. She should have just looked at him. Her don. And all of this madness wouldn't have happened.

"I'm sorry Don" Meryl began, "I'm sorry that you had to chase me. I'm sorry that I'm a mess and can't comprehend that it's gonna be alright".

They got up and hugged for the longest time. And once don realized the time, they broke apart and walked back to the car. Don opened the car door for Meryl and gave her his hand. She took his hand and he helped her into the car. Once in the car she took a deep breath and drank some water. Don got in the drivers seat and looked over at Meryl and winked.

"Let's get this over with, shall we" don said pulling onto the highway.

******

As they reached New York, Don got a call from Greg saying that they should be in court at 11 tomorrow. They were staying at the Greenwich hotel, since they didn't have their penthouse there anymore. They checked in and went to un-pack. Once they got done Meryl decided she wanted to go out and check out her beloved city.