35. mean girls dont cry

18 years ago

"Mom can I just have one ice cream please?" The little girl cried. Her blonde curls bouncing up and down as she urged her mother.

"I said no calories!" The mother relied sternly to the little girl.

She was 14 now. Thinner than most 14 year olds and a little mature for her age.

"But mom! Dad said I could have one please," she whined a little and pouted.

"I said no calories!" The mother yelled this time.

The little girl stopped and hung her head.

The mother sighed, "listen sweetheart, I could give you one I really could but in the future time you'll have to deal with the consequences and it'll be hard. I'm just worried about your life understand?"

She didn't but she nodded anyway.

"Good girl." The woman planted a kiss on the little girls forehead. "You won't regret it, I promise."

-

She woke up in the middle of the night startled by noises underneath.

She frowned and shook her head to wake herself up.

What's going on? She thought.

She threw her legs over the bed and slowly stood up making her way silently towards her room door and leaning against it to listen.

"This is not some contest Veronica! You've been doing this for way too long and I'm starting to get worried!" She heard her dad yell.

"You're overreacting! It's for the good of her-"

"What good? What fucking good is it ever going to bring huh?" Her dads voice growled even louder.

"You don't know what it feels like to be a girl! You have no idea Richard! No idea!" Her mother replied sternly.

The little girl opened the door slowly and walked out to the corridor and spied downstairs. It was her mom and dad in the living room. They didn't look okay at all and it scared her.

She saw her dad walk up to her mother; anger written all over his face.

"Whether it's between you and your stupid friends I don't give a fuck Veronica." Her dad said frankly. "That little girl is only 14 and she looks like a toothpick! It's not looking out for her if you're starving her, depriving her and keeping her from being a normal teenager."

Her mother was already crying. Her lips quivered as she spoke."You never get it Richard. It was hard for me. I don't want our daughter to go through the same struggles as I did."

Her dad only shook his head. "She has a better life Veronica. She isn't on the streets. She isn't alone, she has us. Trying to make hers better doesn't mean starving her. And yes you're right, she's our daughter Vera. Ours. That means I have a say in how we're raising her and you're supposed to know how to raise her but if I don't like the way you're doing it that means you're most definitely doing something wrong. In this case, it's starving her."

"I'm not starving her-"

"Then what the fuck are you doing then?" His voice started rising again. "You don't ever give her ice cream even if it's just one."

"It'll ruin her teeth-"

"One fucking ice cream won't screw with her teeth for God's sake!"

"You don't even get it!" Her mother yelled. The veins in her necked throbbed as she strained her voice. "I've felt the fucking pain of not feeling appreciated and wanted Richard. You don't know what that feels like. You've had your fucking life all figure out while I've roamed the streets trying get money."

"Don't fucking use that against me Vera. Just stop."

"Or what?"

"I love you okay? Isn't this enough? I don't bring up your past and I love you for who you are and yet you still think about the past? Are you mad? Isn't me loving you enough?"

"Right, act as if you actually care."

"I don't fucking throw your past in your face. I respect you and I understand." Her dad said moving closer to her mom but she pushed him away.

"You don't fucking get it and you never will Richard. You don't!"

"Then help me. Because as far as I'm concerned this really isn't about our daughter is it?"

She had enough. She didn't want to hear it anymore. Though they still argued; turned around and crept back to her room.

After that night, Wendy realized, that the real monsters weren't the ones under her bed.

But the ones in her head.

// a.n //

Yes, that little girl was Wendy.