"He's an Over-the-Top Bastard."

Chapter 1

"Are you seriously dragging me to this? I don't like him mom and you know that." I say in irritation as I tug on the bottom of my dress, not remembering it being this short, but I guess I can't be surprised since it is like two years old. I give my mother an exasperating look as we continue to walk up the path of the too fancy clubhouse. See, this is why I don't like the guy my mother's dating. Not only is he a rich bitch who doesn't care to flaunt around his Benjamin's, but he's an over-the-top bastard.

My mother looks down at me and shames me with her brown eyes, "Enough, Zara. I told you last month, please behave." She almost begs me as she knows how I can get. Tiring, bitchy -- all around rude and not giving a single damn. Oh well, I get it from my dad. I love that man. A smile forms on my face and I clutch my jacket to me tighter as the frigid wind blows. Now a scowl takes over my face as we walk up to the revolving door of the clubhouse and push through; showing a huge (over-the-top) sign welcoming guest into Steven's fortieth birthday party. I look up at my mother and she sighs, "Don't say a word, Zara."

Cool, I can't say a word. Awesome. I lift my eyes to the ceiling as we continue walking, then I drop my jaw when entering the party room. This honestly looks like a party for a sixteen year old -- such as myself. Not a forty year old man who sits behind a computer all day and dictates to a company of more old people. I follow right behind my mother as we zig-zag through the tables set up all fancy-like and finally, we find the man of the night...

"Steven!" My mother shrieks happily and I watch him turn around, smiling his pearly whites (which he probably paid good money for) at her. In three quick strides, he's where we are, enclosing my mother into the tightest hug ever. I plaster on my polite smile and just in time too as he leans back after planting a kiss on my mother's mouth and smiling softly at me,

"Zaria... you look lovely, dear." He says and I just smile tightly so I don't blurt out something disrespectful like, 'oh, not as lovely as your receding hairline looks!' but no, my mother would kill me. After all, I am the reason why her last two boyfriends didn't work out, but Steven; unfortunately, is a tough one. I can't seem to scare him off. He leans down and wraps his arms around me, hugging me tightly. Jeez, does this guy know of something called boundaries? Cause he's crossing all of mine.

He soon pulls away from me and starts to whisper something to my mother. I can tell it's serious as the age lines around his eyes deepen with nervousness and lots of worry. Oh yes, worry is good. Worry means problems and maybe if I'm lucky -- problems that can't be worked out. My moms face completely falls and then, she's pulling away from Steven; pointing at me furiously and I watch her lips move like she's speaking a different language fluently. Finally, the music turns down and I watch Steven look frantically at the small stage at the back of the room. My mother pokes his suit covered chest and audibly says, "We'll finish this later."

And it's the best thing I've ever heard her say to him in that tone.

That tone she often uses with me when I try to take her there when she pisses me off. We both watch Steven straighten his tie and walk off towards the small stage where the DJ summons him. Applause is happening and my mom turns around, waving me towards the tables. I start my journey towards one and nearly trip over my feet as at a table next to the only empty one is a girl with red hair. It's more towards a crimson red and she has brown eyes that contrast with it well. But she's not why I'm freaking out. It's the guy sitting next to her texting on his phone is why I'm freaking out.