Episode 16 - Sorrow

*Mikhail*

•••

   I opened my eyes and woke up to a gloomy Thursday morning.

   A gloomy morning for a gloomy me.

   How cliché.

   It felt as though the coming Winter was mocking me.

   Snow was still asleep, his back facing me. I pulled him closer to my body as Misha's dishelleved hair popped up over Snow's shoulder, his big round eyes greeting me a good morning.

   He was really an early little bird.

   I smiled at him and placed a finger vertical to my lips, not wanting to wake Snow up.

   I leaned over and puckered my lips. Misha sat up and kissed me with a faint smacking sound.

   He laid back down and wrapped his little arm around Snow's body. I extended my arm to hug both of my babies, bathing in their warmth.

   A moment later, Snow stirred and rubbed the sleep off his eyes.

   "Good morning, babe."

   "Good morning, Daddy."

   Though this morning was gloomy and sad, it was still another day. A new day for me to make it up for Snow.

   He looked at me with a neutral expression that almost discouraged the smile on my face.

   I leaned down to kiss him but he turned his face back to Misha and my lips landed on his cheek.

   I felt a pang of pain in my chest as my arm loosened around them.

   "Who wants pancakes?"

   I couldn't see Snow's face, but I knew he was smiling at Misha, and it shattered my heart thinking that he would never smile at me like that again. Or at least, when Misha wasn't looking.

   "Me!" Misha raised his hand excitedly.

   "Alright. Come on, baby." Snow was about to get up when Misha spoke.

   "Aren't we supposed to cuddle some more? Like do every morning before Dad takes a shower?"

   Snow halted for a moment before he nodded his head. "Alright."

   He scooted closer to Misha. I scooted closer to him.

   I didn't care how many times my heart would break every time Snow made me feel unwanted.

   This was the price I had to pay and I was more than willing to give every broken piece of my heart for Snow's forgiveness.

   I hugged him from behind and let the silence fill the room.

   Every time I embraced Snow, he would always lean closer and melt upon my touch. But now he was stiff and cold.

   His warm and loving welcome to my every touch that I was so used to receive was replaced by a cold shoulder.

   I had foreseen this happening. But I didn't expect it to be this painful to experience it firsthand.

   I planned to take everything he loved away from him yet I was the one feeling empty now that he was giving me no importance.