Wrecking Ball

Beca was playing with her toy train. Her mother was inside the house, preparing dinner for her daughter and her father was out in some meeting. She was in the middle of a train robbery when she heard someone walking up to her. She squinted her eyes, looking up at a young man who was standing over her. He crouched down, smiling at Beca.

"You're really pretty," he told her, the left tip of his lips turned upward.

"Thank you. Who are you?" Beca asked, not recognizing the man anywhere. She gripped her train tighter, not sure if the man was safe. She looked over to not see her mother anywhere.

"I'm a friend," the man told the girl, a grin on his face.

"Oh, are you a vampire too?"

"I'm something cooler," the man whispered, reaching into his pocket. He took out a needle.

Beca frowned. She let go of her train and stood up. "I have to go." She turned and started to walk back to her house, when the man grabbed her from the back of her shirt and pulled her back. Beca struggled against his grip. "Ma-"

The man put his hand over her mouth. "Can't have you ruining my plans."

Beca kicked her legs. The man took the top off the needle and inserted it into her neck. Beca whimpered, as she felt something burn in her neck. Tears filled her eyes, feeling her body tense up.

The man dropped her. She watched him walk away, unable to get back up. She whimpered, feeling the edges of her sight darken.

-

"Chloe!" Aubrey shouted, shaking the witch.

"I-I can't," Chloe gasped out, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Can't what? Chlo, what's going on?" Aubrey asked, panic in her voice.

"I-I can't feel her Aubrey," Chloe cried, as she gripped her best friend's shirt. "I can't feel Beca."

Emily closed her eyes, feeling a wave of anger run through her.

"I can't feel her," Chloe whispered, tears streaming down her face. Aubrey wrapped her arms around her. Stacie put her hands over her mouth. Benji turned to look at Emily.

Emily moved to stand in front of Chloe, giving her a hard look. "We have to go," she said, keeping her voice steady.

Chloe kept her eyes closed, trying to feel Beca. "She's gone Emily."

Emily's head snapped to Chloe. She grabbed the top of her shirt and pushed her against the wall. "Shut up. Just because you don't feel her doesn't mean she's gone. We aren't giving up."

Chloe looked at Emily with a defeated look. "Beca told me. She said if I stopped feeling her, it would mean she was gone."

"Beca doesn't know everything," Emily told her, letting Chloe go and letting her drop on the ground. "So get up and let's go."

"We won't know unless we check," Stacie told them, standing up. The others nodded.

-

Beca's father stood over the bed, his body tensed. He glared at the rising and falling of Beca's chest. He remembered the frantic call he received from his wife, saying that she found Beca unconscious in the yard. She had called a vampire doctor who told her that Beca had been poisoned. He rushed home, to find his daughter in bed.

"Why did this happen?" his wife asked, looking at their daughter. "Why her? Who would want to hurt her?"

He shook her head. "I-I don't know, but I should have been here. I should have stopped that son of a bitch from touching her. I should have protected her."