The One That Changed Me

"You okay?" Matt asks, slinging an arm around my shoulder.

"Yeah," I lie. "Its not like I asked him to wait, this is what I wanted."

"To move on?" He prods.

I just nod and glance back at them. "I guess it's just going to be hard, to watch him and her. Ya know, all couple-y and shit."

"I get it," he nods understandingly and wraps and squeezes my shoulders reassuringly.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah?"

"Was she..." I trail off," better then me?"

"Well," he stops himself," how can I compare you two you're both so different."

I nod and look down.

-

I finally corner Nash after school he's at his locker while, the blonde bitch is with MY bestfriends in the cafeteria.

"Hey Nash!" I smile and walk up to him.

He eyes me up and down, biting his lip. "Sup?"

"How's things with you and.." I trail off, forgetting her name.

"Great, why would you care?" He narrows his perfect eyes. "You left me remember?"

"I had no choice," I look at my feet.

"Well we could have made it work." He states closing his locker.

"I didn't know if we could," I admit. "I didn't want to take that risk of getting my heart broken."

"Well," he sighs,"now I've moved on."

"Maybe I shouldn't have come back then."

"Maybe," he shrugs. "Or maybe you shouldn't have left in the first place." He glares at me while he brushes past.

I stay still for a second before asking, "Do you love her?"

I sense him turn around so I do too.

"Of course I do."

"As much as you did loved me?"

He hesitates before uttering, "more."

My heart sinks in my chest. "I see."

I avert my eyes to the ground as tears build up.

"Malia," he trails.

"No, no." I shake my head. "You only did what I asked, to move on. I'm happy that you're happy."

"I know you're lying." He walks to me and lifts my head up. "Don't cry, please."

"You have a girlfriend," I sniffle, "because I left you, I let someone take my place."

"I'm sorry," he pouts with sympathy in his eyes. "I'm sorry but I did."

He hesitates staring at my lips before rubbing my chin, sending sparks through me.

Damn my feelings!

He softens up at my touch as I clutch his hand.

"I missed you." I state shakily. "I missed you so much," I continue, "that I cried at night because I needed you."

"I wish I could say I didn't do the same," He laughs emotionlessly.

We pause awkwardly staring at each other.

"I love you, Malia, you'll always be the girl that changed me." He smiles with pure adoration making my heart melt and break.

"I love you too, Nash Grier," I reply, "you changed me a lot more then you think."

With that we headed our separate ways down the hallway. Feeling his warmth fade I knew this can't be it.

I won't let it.