Chapter 6

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, walking into Oceania's room. My whole body was tense, and I couldn't help but wonder why she was crying. "Oceay?" I asked, worried about my big sister. I moved over to her and took her hand in mine, hoping that she would stop crying. "Are you alright?"

"I am fine," Oceay said, wiping her eyes, but we both knew that she wasn't. She took a deep, shuddering breath before looking at me with a watery smile. "I guess I owe you an explanation," she said. "Now that you know about us."

I shrugged my shoulder and stayed silent, watching as she played with my fingers. It was comforting as to how she always did that, and I knew that it comforted her as well.

"My... Chosen rejected me," she said, and I nodded in a silent, 'go on.' She cleared her throat and licked her lips, looking away from me. "I thought that I would end up with you," she said, honestly. She shook her head and chuckled coldly. "I've always had this huge crush on you a-"

"Which both Brady and I knew about, but I always joked that you were my sister," I teased, interrupting her. I sat in the bed beside her and nudged her with my shoulder. "We've known it for a while."

Oceania rolled her eyes and shrugged her shoulder. "I was talking about you one day when I met him. I am not going to tell you his name because I know that you will try to find him and beat his ass, but I can tell you that he was the most handsome man that I had ever seen." A soft smile appeared on her lips as she thought about him, her dull eyes turning bright.

"Hey," I said, making sure to sound offended. "I thought I was." I nudged her, and she chuckled.

"Second compared to him," Oceay replied. "But that is because he was my Chosen." She sighed and shook her head, her bright eyes turning dull again. "I swam to him with my mind made up that I was going to have him, but..." She shrugged and shook her shoulder, grimacing.

"He rejected you because he thought you would reject him."

She nodded her head and touched the pearl necklace that I had given her on that night. "The pain was and is too much for me," she said, her voice cracking. "I tried to make sure that you and Brady wouldn't know, but... somehow, you did." She looked at me with her piercing green eyes. "I think it is because you are the prince," she added, looking away.

"Or it might because that I had been really worried about you," I said, looking at her wall, remembering the night that happened a long time ago. "I remember that it was almost your birthday, and I was sleeping over here. A noise woke me up, and something in me urged me to follow it."

"It was raining," Oceay said, her eyes fading as if she was going back into that memory. "I remember because my face was hot with tears, and the rest of me was cold."

"And, I followed you out the door with nothing but boxers and jeans on," I added. I grimaced. "I remember because the mud was slimy and cold underneath my feet."

Oceay snorted and rolled her eyes. However, a smile appeared on her lips because she knew how much I hated something slimy touching my feet. "And, you followed me up the cliff. I never knew you were there until you pulled me from the edge, and we tumbled down on the other side."

"I was angry and furious at you," I said, still feeling the anger that I had felt on that night. I clenched my hands into fists, letting go of her hand. I didn't want to hurt her accidentally. "I knew what you were going to do and was about to yell at you."

Oceay smiled sadly and retook my hand. "But, with one look at my face, you didn't. You pulled me into a hug and begged me not to do it. You made me swear to the moon, the ocean, and the Earth." She shook her head and smiled, this one more real than the last one. "You then pulled out the pearl necklace and made me promise to it."

"And, you swore to it as well as made a promise on the pearl."

Oceany rubbed the pearl necklace and nodded. "And, I swore to it and made that promise to the pearl," she confirmed. She looked at me with hard eyes. "And, now, I want you to promise me something."

I nodded, staying silent. I would do anything for her to see a bright smile on her face and the sadness to disappear from her face.

"If Aquamarine rejects you, do not do what I was about to do." She looked at me, her eyes filled with tears. "Please." Her voice shook, and my heart broke. She looked so lost, so alone, that I knew I couldn't do that to her.

I nodded my head. I held out my hand, and Oceay instantly placed the pearl necklace into it. I held the pearl, feeling its warmth, and closed my eyes. "I promise with whatever happens with my Chosen that I will not commit suicide. I swear it to the pearl, the moon, the Earth, and the ocean." I opened my eyes and stared at Oceana, noticing the tears in her eyes. "You have my word."