Chapter 11

"Aquamarine," I called out when I saw that she was looking for somewhere to sit. I waved her over when she looked at me and started to make her way towards the table.

"Who are you, and what have you done to Tyler?" my friend, Skylark, asked, looking at me weirdly. "I have never seen you call someone over, especially a female."

I pulled my gaze off of my Chosen and smirked at the seventeen-year-old female. "What? Jealous?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

Skylark snorted and rolled her eyes, moving a hand through her black hair. "That you called her over?" she asked. She shook her head. "It just means that I can flirt with her and make her like me."

"Now, don't go scaring her off, Lark," Brady said, sitting down in his usual seat and shoved my food towards me. "You need to get your own food. What am I? Your servant?"

I scowled when he smirked. "You were the one that told me to sit, Brady," I replied. "You didn't want anyone to take "our" table."

"Which no one will," another person on our swim team said, sitting down next to Brady. She smiled and nodded her head in greeting. "Captain," she teased, and I rolled my eyes.

"Blakye," I replied. "How was your summer?"

She shrugged. "It was good," she replied. "Boring." She didn't look at me, and I could that she was hiding something, something that might or might not be important. A smile appeared on her face when Aquamarine sat down beside me. "Hi, I'm Blayke. I love your hair."

"Thanks..? Aquamarine asked, confused. She looked at me and then looked at Brady when she saw that I was looking at her.

"Hey, paws off, Blakye. I saw her first," Skylark said, teasingly. She winked at Aquamarine and took a bite of her food. "I like your hair."

I bit back a snort and rolled my eyes, taking a sip of my drink. I wasn't mad that Skylark was flirting with my Chosen because I knew she was teasing. I knew she didn't mean it, for she had her eyes on someone else. "Skylark, Aquamarine. Aquamarine, Skylark." I nodded my head to Blakye. "That's Blayke. The rest of the gang will be here soon."

"Except for Natalie," Blayke said. "Natalie won't be on the swim team."

Brady choked on his drink when Blakye said that and stared at her in shock. He coughed, and Blakye patted his back. "What?" he asked, shocked. "Why not?"

"She was pulled out of school this semester," Blayke replied. She furrowed her brows. "She said that her mother said something dark was covering the school, and she didn't want her there anymore." She shrugged. "So, she pulled her out."

"But we need her," Brady said. "She's the best flyer we have. Courtney isn't ready for the A team yet." He looked at me. "Is she?"

I shrugged my shoulders. I was upset that Natalie wouldn't be on the swim team because we had swum with each other, her being the second friend I had made after Brady. "We're going to have to see or at least find someone that can."

"Why don't we ask the gorgeous girl by your side," Skylark said. Her voice had something in it that I couldn't pinpoint exactly, but I had a feeling she was upset as well. She leaned forward and winked at Aquamarine.

"What?" Aquamarine asked, furrowing her brows. She looked at Skylark and looked at me, confused. "What's going on?"

"I am flirting with you. That is what is going on," Skylark replied. She snickered when Brady shot her an annoyed look. "I can flirt with anyone I want." She took a bite of her food and closed her eyes.

"Lark's bi," Brady explained, and Aquamarine looked at him. He glanced at me to see if I was jealous before he looked at Aquamarine. "She doesn't matter the gender of the person and will date anyone."

"Or tap anyone," Skylark replied. "I'd tap you now if you like." She winked, and I started to feel a little jealous.

"Ok," Brady said, tossing a fry at her, and she laughed and dodged it. He could tell that I was starting to feel jealous for some reason. "Like seriously, quit it while you are still ahead." He cleared his throat and raised an eyebrow. "Can we get down to business?"

"What?" another of our team members asked, sitting down. He nodded his head to me and looked at Brady. "To defeat the Huns?"

"Sorry, Keith," Brady said. He scowled, and Keith smirked. "This isn't Mulan. There aren't any Huns to defeat."

Keith shrugged. "There might be one day," he said. He smiled flirtatiously at Aquamarine. "Hello, Beautiful," he said. "How are you? My name is Keith."

"Not interested," Aquamarine said. She took a bite of her food. "I was actually thinking of joining the swim team," she added, looking at me. "But a flyer?"

"A person that does the butterfly stroke," Brady replied, not giving me a chance to answer. "You have to do a dolphin kick." He mimicked the movement of the kick with his hands when Aquamarine looked at him.

"I call it the mermaid kick because that is how I imagine mermaids swimming," Blayke said, putting a hand on her chest. "I believe in mermaids."

Brady snorted and rolled his eyes. "Of course you would believe in mermaids, Blayke," he muttered, eating a french fry. "Do you have any proof that they are real?"

"Do you have any proof that they are not?" Blayke asked, giving him a pointed look. "Tyler agrees with me that they are real." She ate a fry and looked at me. "Right?"

"I neither agree nor disagree that they were real or not," I replied. I picked up my burger. "I still do not agree or disagree with either of you."

"And what would you do if you did find information that they were?" Blayke asked. "Would you share it?"

I shook my head, and her face fell.

"Why not?"

"Scientists," I replied simply, and Brady almost choked on his drink. I gave him an annoyed look before I looked at Blayke. "Do you know what would happen if they found out they were real?"

"They'll capture them." She shrugged scowling. "Fine, if I ever find out about mermaids, then I am not telling you," she said. "I just thought you would be interested in it because of your mother."

Oh, if only she knew...

"My mother liked anything "supernatural," Blayke," I replied. "It did not matter if it was mermaids or something else. I did pick up on some of her interests but not a lot."

"Your loss," Blayke said. She rolled her eyes. "You're missing out, Ty. I am sure that if you wanted to find something, then you could have found out about it."

I furrowed my brows, confused. There was this thing in her voice that I didn't understand, and I wondered if she knew something, something about me.

"What do you mean?" Brady asked. He shifted a little and looked at Blayke. "What do you mean by that?" There was a warning in his voice, and he stared at her hard.

Blayke didn't reply and shrugged her shoulders. She took a bite of her sandwich, and we fell into a tense silence that left me confused.

What did she know?