Chapter 12

"So Ellie, I'm sorry if my sister made you feel uncomfortable. She can be a bit overpowering sometimes." Chris says, apologetically.

We make our way into the kitchen. I start to help Chris tidy away the dishes.

"Not at all.....actually I really like her, she's so full of energy." I say, reassuringly."

"That's one way of describing her." Chris says, with a small chuckle.

"Actually, I didn't realize that you had a sister? Jake never mentioned it to me."

"No, I guess I never got around to telling him. She is my foster sister, her parent's fostered me when I was 11 years old, a little while after my mother died and my father went to prison. They are lovely people and they have always been like a real family to me." Chris says, with a hint of sadness in his voice.

"That's lovely Chris. Do you see them often? I mean do they live here in New York?"

"No. they used to live here up until about 3 years ago. My foster father, who is an artist, got offered a once in a lifetime opportunity in Paris. They wanted Lily and I to go with them but I had already started running my business and Lily was finishing college, so we decided to stay here. They visit when they can and we talk a lot on the phone."

"Wow, Paris? He must be a very talented artist?" I say, in slight awe.

"Yes, he certainly is. Actually, you will notice a lot of the paintings in the office and around the building are ones which he has done."

"Oh, that's cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for them so." I say, smiling softly at Chris.

"Yes do. You can go ahead up to bed if you like, there's not much left to do here, I'll finish up."

"Are you sure? I don't mind helping, it's the least that I can do."

"Not at all....... trust me, you will need all the rest that you can get to have the energy to endure Lily tomorrow." Chris says, with a small smile.

I chuckle lightly at his comment, knowing full well he is probably right.

"Okay then. Thanks again Chris, for everything. I'm so happy to be here." I say cheerfully.

"You're very welcome. Goodnight Ellie."

I make my way up to my bedroom and get ready for bed. I'm even more excited than I already was about starting my job on Monday. I really think that Lily and I will be good friends, she's very likeable and genuine. However I'll have to think of some way to get out of this "double date" that she wants to set me up on. I don't think that I am ready to put my trust in another man again after David, besides, there has only been one man on my mind lately......Chris!

My thoughts then wander back to the conversation earlier. Lily said that Chris doesn't let women get close enough to have a relationship. I wonder what that's about? Does that mean that he doesn't do any sort of commitment. Maybe he's more of a one night stand kind of guy, which for me is a major turn-off. Although if I'm being perfectly honest, right now I'd do just about anything to have just one night with him.

I don't know what time I finally switched off at last night and fell asleep. I'm woken up to the sound of my alarm clock ringing in my ear. I suddenly remember my plans for today, shopping with Lily. I'm definitely going to need a caffeine boost before she arrives.

I jump out of bed and head straight for the shower. As soon as I'm finished in the shower I get dressed and put a small bit of makeup on. I get down to the kitchen, half expecting Chris to be there but he's not. I spot a note on the counter from him and begin to read it aloud.