Chapter 18

Seeing Jake's concerned face and me jumping into his arms sends me into a panic of sobbing.

"Ellie? You're starting to scare me. Please, tell me what's wrong?"

Jake's managed to move the two of us from the front porch and into the living room, where he plops me down on the sofa and sits alongside me.

"I.... I don't know where to begin. Everything is ruined."

"What do you mean? Is it your job?"

"No. Well kind of, but not really."

"Ellie, you're not making much sense? Did you get fired?"

"No, nothing like that. The work part is fine."

"Right well, what is it so? Chris?"

At the sound of his name another gush of tears start to come. I don't say anything.

"I guess that's my answer right there. Did he hurt you? He's in big trouble if he did!!"

"Relax Rambo. No, technically he hasn't purposely hurt me. I.... It's that..."

I stop myself saying the words but Jake quickly reads my mind and blurs out his next words. "You have feelings for him?"

"Okay, yes, I do. You were right when you were teasing me, but I thought I had them under control."

"Okay, well does he not feel the same way for you, is that what has you upset?!"

"Kind of yes, but, oh God before I forget, if Chris happens to ring you asking if everything is okay, can you make something up saying like there was an emergency and you needed me here tonight?"

"What? What kind of an emergency are we talking about and why would I need to do that?"

"Please don't ask questions but know that this is really important, I need you to do this for me."

"Okay, but this is far from finished you need to tell me exactly what's going on."

"Not tonight, please. I need to go to bed and forget about today."

"Well tomorrow then, I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Sure. I'm going to go to bed if you don't mind."

"Do you not want some food? Looks like you spilt most of your food earlier." He says as he looks down and my stained dress.

I shake my head. "I'm not hungry. Good night."

"Good night sis. Apart from the stale smell of coffee it's really good to see you again."

I get up to my room and have a quick shower to wash the stink of coffee from my body, and I throw on a pair of my comfy sweat pants and a hoodie. I hop into bed and look at my phone to see 16 missed calls from Lily. Wow that girl is persistant. I'm sure the night is in full swing at the moment, and I'm sure Hayley is hanging out of Chris every chance she gets. The thought of her makes me so angry.

At some point past midnight I manage to fall asleep. When I wake up the next morning I have no idea of the time as I wasn't awoken by my usual alarm. I glance at the phone, 10.45, wow that was probably the biggest sleep I've had since I moved from home. I guess being completely drained would do that to you.

I struggle to make my way down the stairs. When I reach the kitchen a familiar scent tickles my nose, pancakes. It then hits me smack bang in my chest, the last time I had pancakes, it was Chris who made them for me.

"Ellie, please say they are tears of joy for the lovely pancakes I made you?"

"I'm sorry Jake, I'm fine. Thanks for this." I say as I wipe my eyes with my sleeve.