Chapter 9

My alarm wakes me the next morning. I hop out of bed and get ready for college. When I get downstairs the kitchen is empty. I'm assuming Chris is still in bed, his train doesn't leave until lunchtime. I'm guessing my dirty stop out of a brother didn't come home last night, nothing new there.

I stand at the coffee machine waiting for my mug to fill....I don't think I could function properly without my morning caffeine fix. All of a sudden a voice comes from behind me causing me to jump.

"I hope there's one for me?"

I turn a little startled to see Chris staring back at me.

He quickly adds. "Sorry....I didn't mean to startle you."

"Oh...no worries. I think I'm still half asleep. Do you take sugar or milk?"

"Neither....Just black will do me fine." He says with a small smile.

I hand him a mug of coffee. Our fingers lightly brush against one another and I feel a sudden tingling sensation shoot through my body.

(Jesus....how does the slightest touch from him have such an affect on me?.....Pull yourself together Ellie!)

"I better get going or I'll miss my bus." I say a little flustered.

"Yes, of course. Well, Ellie it's been great getting to know you a little better. I will be in touch again as soon as your exams are finished to discuss the job further."

"Yes, that sounds perfect. Thank you again for this incredible opportunity. I look forward to getting started." I say enthusiastically.

Chris takes me by surprise when he leans in and gives me a quick peck on my cheek. My skin burns under the feeling of his soft lips.

"Take care Ellie." He says as I start to walk away.

(Oh my god....get me out of here quick before I burst into flames!)

I quickly grab my bag and leave the house.

(I think I am actually really going to miss seeing Chris' face around the house, but I guess I'll see him again soon enough.)

The next two weeks pass in a blur....my days consisted of mostly studying. I handed in my notice in the coffee house and boy did I get great satisfaction out of doing that!

It's the last day of my exams....I leave the campus grounds with a huge sense of relief and accomplishment. I would almost go as far as to say I am proud of myself. All of my exams went really well....better than well. I am pretty confident that I will get the results that I need to be a fully qualified interior designer.

I get the bus home. I am so excited to tell Jake how well the exams went. I am also very excited for my pending phone call from Chris to say that he is ready for me to start work. Unfortunately he hasn't visited since as he was too busy in New York. The build here is almost complete according to Jake who has been keeping Chris up to date with everything.

I hop off the bus and almost sprint down the street to our house. When I finally reach it, I run through the front door calling Jake's name.

"Jake? Jake? I'm home. Guess who just aced all her exams?" I shout excitedly.

Jake comes out of the kitchen and opens his arms to give me a hug. I run into his arms with a huge smile plastered across my face.

"Ellie....Congratulations! I'm so proud of you. You have done so well. Can you believe it you are finished college, for good!" Jake says proudly.

I look over Jake's shoulder and that's when I see him approaching....Chris!

"So you aced all of your exams? Congratulations!" Chris says with a small smirk on his face.