Chapter 10

Mila

Gino and I haven't spoken since the phone call on Wednesday. I didn't want to seem like I was pining for him, so I wanted to wait for him to contact me.
I showed up to class on Friday a little early, hoping that I could talk with him before class. But as the minutes dragged on, Gino didn't show up. I was hoping that he was just late, but when 30 minutes of class had passed, I knew that he wasn't coming.
This is so typical. Just as soon as I start to have the tiniest of feelings for someone, they completely avoid me and act as though I don't exist. Man, it feels like I'm back in high school again dating the quarterback who was screwing my best friend.
I promised myself that I would never let a guy make me feel this way, yet here I am.

---

I was making lunch for Papa when I heard my phone vibrate. I ran to it immediately to see a text pop up from Gino:
Can I call you?
I waited a few minutes before I responded, not wanting him to think that I was waiting by the phone for two days.
Sure.
Within seconds, my phone rang.
"Hello," I said, not wanting to say much more.
"Hey, Mila, how are you," he asked hesitantly.
"I'm fine, making lunch," I said, even though I had stopped making lunch and was now pacing around my kitchen.
"Look, I'm sorry for not talking these past few days. I know I should have reached out, but I had to come home and handle a family situation," he said, pausing briefly to see if I would respond.
I debated on whether or not I was going to let him off the hook. This situation could have been an emergency, but wouldn't he have said that if it were?
"Gino, you don't owe me anything. Its fine," I said, swallowing my pride as the words came out of my mouth.
"Mila, come on. I know you're mad, but I can't explain much else to you right now. I'm still kind of in the middle of it," he said, pausing. "Can I make it up to you," he asked.
"Hmm, I'm liking where this might be going. Do you want to hang out this weekend," I asked, feeling a little giddy about the fact that he cared that I was irritated with him.
"Uhm," he said, pausing. Great, he really didn't want to see me. "I won't be back in town until Monday morning for class," he said.
"Oh," I said, trying not to sound too disappointed. I would give anything for this conversation to be over, this awkwardness is worse than sitting on the subway. "Hey, uh, Papa is hollering, I've got to go," I said, mumbling my words a bit.
"Mila," Gino started, but I cut him off before he could say anything.
"Gotta go, Gino, really," I said, and then I hung up the phone.
I tried catching my breath as my heart felt like it was going to bounce out of my chest.
I picked up the phone and called Lyn to vent about how much I hated men.

***
Gino

"So, you really do like this girl, don't you?" Elena said, taking a seat on the couch next to me.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"You've been off of the phone for 3 hours now, and all you've done is mope around here like someone shot your dog," she said, taking a drink of water and then offering me some.
"Well, let's just say, Paap always has the best timing when it comes to pulling me away from my life," I said, grabbing the water bottle from her.
"I think you've got it a little backwards, don't you?" she asked, only pausing for a second and then continuing, "I mean, this is your life. So technically, she's the one pulling you away from your life, little brother." I rolled my eyes, ignoring her snide comment.
"Tell me about her," Elena said.
"What," I scoffed, not wanting to entertain her.
"Come on, Gino. I'm your big sister, and I haven't ever seen you like this. I'm soaking it up, tell me about her," she pleaded.
"She's just different," I said, not sure where to start. "She's seen a ton of heartache in her life, none of it deserved at all. Yet she still smiles and laughs, and lives this big life by choice." I stopped, picturing her laughing that boisterous laugh of hers. "She's not like us, Elena. She's not like me, at least. She's good."
I glanced at my phone, half expecting to see a text from Mila. But there was nothing.