Chapter 20

Mila

"So, wait, he has a sister-daughter? I feel like this is a TLC show," Lyn said, feeding Paige her cheeseburger.
"Well don't say it like he's some bad guy," I started, "he can't help that his parents suck."
"Well, I guess you're right. She's in Kindergarten, you said," Lyn asked.
"Yes, and she's absolutely adorable. Maybe we could all go out and the girls could get to know each other," I asked.
Lyn hesitated before she responded, "I mean, yeah, I'd love to meet Gino and Cami. Just let me know when," she said.
Paige and Cami were just a little over a year apart. I'm sure they'd love hanging out, right? Kids don't care about age like we do, they just want to play. I'll obviously have to run it by Gino, but I think he'll be alright with it.
After a minute of silence, Lyn continued the interrogation. "If you spent the evening and the next morning with him," she paused, "does that mean that you stayed at his place, finally?"
I could feel the heat on my face as she asked what I knew she was going to. It wasn't that I didn't want to gush about everything that I had felt last night, but I had no idea how to talk about these things. It just feels like such an awkward thing to discuss. I could feel her eyes burning a hole in my forehead, so I knew that I had to say something.
"Let's just leave it at Gino and I have rounded first, and I think we landed on second?" I really wasn't sure what I was talking about, so hopefully I was using the right terminology.
"OH MY GOSH," she exclaimed, tell me everything.
Apparently, it was kind of a big deal for me to... orgasm without actual skin on skin contact. Lyn was highly impressed that Gino was able to work his magic through that, and added to the puzzle in my head as to what exactly he was capable of. However, she informed me that we were still technically hanging out on first base. Ugh, if that was first base, I don't think I'm capable of handling much more.
Being in a public place with a toddler didn't exactly feel like the right environment to discuss such things, so I convinced Lyn that we should change the subject and continue this conversation later.
"So, what do you want to do for your birthday next weekend," Lyn asked.
I had been so wrapped up in Gino that, for once, I was actually able to avoid the fact that my birthday was just around the corner. I know that women tend to hate their birthdays because it symbolizes the impending doom that is headed their way; gray hair, wrinkles, loose skin, and a metabolism that moves about as fast as molasses. But for me, it wasn't about the age.
"Probably nothing, I haven't even told Gino that my birthday is coming up," I said, dodging eye contact with Lyn because I knew I was in for a lecture.
"Mila! You have to tell him. He's going to feel terrible if it passes and he finds out later. You can't do that to the poor guy," Lyn said.
I could see her point. Gino is a fantastic guy, and any fantastic guy would know to make a big deal of their girlfriend's birthday. But I wasn't sure if I was ready for that.
Birthdays were something that were such a big deal when my parents were alive. Of course I don't remember much, but I've watched the videos from all of my birthdays while they were alive over and over again just to feel like I actually remember them happening.
Mom went all out before mothers went all out. Today, it seems to be a mom trend to be "extra." We see all of these things on Facebook about ingenious ways to decorate your child's bedroom, make awesome after-school snacks, and creative DIY decorations for a birthday party. However, in 1996, most moms just bought a few decorations from the store and set them up at the park. But, not my mom.
For my first birthday, my mom rented the town pool and invited every kid in town. I was 1 year old, so it wasn't like I even gave a hoot about decorations, theme, or food for that matter. But none of that mattered to my mom.
The theme was "The Little Mermaid," and all of the kids in attendance were supposed to dress like mermaids. I could barely walk, but my mom made sure that I had the best Ariel costume out of the lot. She even bought a little baby wig for me to wear just for a few pictures.
My father was never in the videos, but rather on the other side of them. Mom did the work, dad recorded the proof. He walked around making sure that absolutely everyone that attended the party made it into the video. He would ask the adults random questions that didn't have to do with anything. I can only assume that he was quickly becoming bored with his videoing job.
"Look, I know it's a hard time for you. But you've got to give him the same courtesy that he's obviously given you," Lyn said, "let him in, Mila."
We had finished lunch, and Lyn was needing to get Paige to her dad, so I helped get them packed into the car and waved them off as they drove away.
Lyn was right, Gino needed to know. But if I tell Gino, I have to share my birthday. Papa had always done a good job of letting me go through my own traditions over the years, but there was no guarantee that Gino would allow me to do the same.