Chapter 31

Gino

I'd love to say that my family shatters the typical stereotypes that most people think about Italian people, but I really can't. My family is loud, they love food, and even more so, they love tradition. There aren't many things that we get right, but we've always managed to uphold our traditions. And of course, most of those traditions center around the family.
Although my immediate family meets for dinner on a weekly basis, our extended family, blood and not, meet together each month on the last Sunday for 'family dinner.' These dinners are semi-formal most of the time, except when holidays roll around.
Most people think of Memorial Day as a time for solemnity, but we tend to break that standard. This is one of our biggest holiday celebrations - even rivaling the big Christmas blowout after Mass. A lot of the men in my Paap's generation of our family served overseas in Vietnam, and they have a strong sense of pride in that. Ironically, I sometimes think they enjoyed it because they didn't have to cover their tracks when they killed someone. But then again, they haven't always been the men that they are today.
On Memorial Day Sunday dinners, people dress up real fancy, come to the bar, and dance the night away. And of course, drink.
They toast to those they lost in war; both overseas and at home. And after they've toasted everyone they loved, they're basically wasted. Lenny and Matty rued the day when we were legally able to drink at this event, but I never really saw the necessity. Instead, I enjoyed listening to the old men tell stories of the ones lost. There was something about passionate, Italian men reminiscing in stories. And man, could they tell some stories.
As I was getting ready tonight, I couldn't help but feel a little giddy. For the most part, Mila had been introduced to the important people in my life. But to be able to go to this event, and see everyone in my life at once while having Mila on my arm; well, that was just a feeling that I couldn't wait for.
The only other person that I had ever taken to one of these gatherings was Adrianna, and that was only out of obligation. Her father wasn't a crucial part of our family, but nonetheless, he was there. So it was expected that I take her.
But Mila, I would choose to take her anywhere. And I couldn't wait to show her off.

***

I was overwhelmed with excitement when I saw the first couple of the evening approach us. It was Albero and his wife, the owners of Al's restaurant that Mila and I had our first date at.
"Al," I exclaimed, pulling him in for a hug. I then leaned in to his wife, and kissed her cheeks.
"Bellini's, this is my girlfriend, Mila. Mila this is Al, and his wife Regina," I said. Mila reached out and shook both of their hands.
"It's so great to meet the people responsible for my newfound obsession with Italian food," she said, putting on the charm. I stood back, just watching her interact with them. Her eyes were so soft, but her words deliberate. As a future lawyer, she sure did know how to read people - and how to tell them exactly what they wanted to hear. However, after watching her devour that pasta, I knew she was telling the truth about loving their food.
The next couple that we saw was Uncle Fil and Aunt Bea. I was nervous about this introduction, knowing that Mila now knew about what Uncle Fil's responsibilities to the family were. However, she played it off as though he were a goofy high-school principal who loved baseball and telling sarcastic jokes.
After what felt like a few hundred introductions, I could tell that Mila was getting overwhelmed. Elena had perched herself at the bar, and Mila was watching her closely. The boys were seated at our usual spot, and I could see that they were waiting for me to take my seat.
"You want to go hang out with Elena for a bit," I probed.
She nodded, and planted a kiss on my cheek. Without another word, she was across the room.
I sat at the head of the table with the boys, and it felt like we were eighteen again.
"All I'm saying is that it feels good to not be the only man tied down at one of these events," he said, toasting his drink in my direction.
It had become a sort of tradition that we would all leave with a different girl after each of these dinners. It hadn't dawned on me until Lenny had mentioned it that I would be leaving with Mila. My eighteen year-old self would probably be disappointed in me, but I was hoping that I would always get to go home with Mila.
"I guess Matty and Bruno will have to pick up our slack - maybe even double up tonight for the lack of men in this room," I said, tipping back a drink.
I could do locker-room talk all day, but I knew deep down that if I was what Mila wanted, that I would willingly attach myself to her for the rest of my life.