Chapter 29

Mila

I don't know why I thought this would be a good idea. I knew Gino only invited me out of obligation, and I think he was just as shocked as I was when the word "yes" came out of my mouth. I couldn't figure it out, but I had this desire to meet Gino's grandpa. After everything that Gino had told me about him, I should be running for the hills. Instead, I just wanted to put a face to the name.
This restaurant was so fancy that I couldn't even make out the words on the menu. Oh, wait. Of course. It's in Italian! Luckily Gino's grandfather wasn't here yet, so I leaned over to Gino.
"What in the world am I supposed to order," I exclaimed, only mildly panicked.
Gino laughed, which normally made me smile, but now was no time for joking. "Gino, I'm serious!"
"Don't worry, I'll just order for you when they get here. You want meat or pasta," he said, still laughing. I paused, because I kind of wanted both. Apparently Gino could read my face, because he responded to his own question with, "Okay, both it is." I closed the menu, relieved that I wouldn't have to make a fool out of myself in trying to pronounce any of those items.
And just when I felt relief, I heard his voice. Gino stood as his grandfather approached the table, and I followed suit. Sal shook Gino's hand, and then leaned in and kissed me on the cheek. I caught a whiff of something familiar that took my breath, and I started coughing. And coughing. And coughing. Oh gosh, is this seriously happening?
Gino handed me a glass of water, but I knew that wouldn't help. I excused myself from the table, and made my way to the bathroom.
Deep breaths, Mila. Deep breaths. Don't let it take over. In. Out. In. Out. After I was breathing steadily again, I looked up in the mirror. My face looked like a cherry, and that vein was popped out on my forehead. Great.
Well, I guess that's as bad as it could get, so the rest of the night should be a breeze. I washed my hands, and exhaled one last time. I couldn't figure out why I had just been thrust into a coughing fit, but I had an uneasy feeling as I made my way back to our table.
As I approached the table, I saw a woman sitting next to Gino's grandfather, and she was holding his hand. Gino stood, put his hands on my cheeks, and examined me.
"Gino, I'm fine," I said, laughing it off and turning my attention to the table. "You must be Gino's Nonna, I have heard so much about you," I said, leaning down and hugging her.
"And I, you," she said, smiling. She was a very petite woman, but absolutely gorgeous. She couldn't have been taller than 5 foot 3, and had black, boisterous hair flowing down her back.
"I couldn't let the boys have all the fun tonight, when Sal told me that the famous Mila was attending their dinner, I just couldn't stay away," she said, grabbing and holding Sal's hand.
"You know your Nonna," Sal said to Gino, "always in for a good dinner party."
Gino smiled, but I couldn't read what he was thinking. His leg was shaking profusely, and he kept flexing his hand on his knee. I reached over and slipped my fingers through his. It was a comfort knowing I wasn't the only one about to burst from nerves.
"So, Mila," Nonna said, "I have heard so much about you from Gino's sisters that I feel like I already know you!"
"Well, I could say the same about you and the girls. Gino is pretty crazy about you three," I said.
I was impressed with how quickly I became comfortable talking with Nonna. She had this warm presence about her that just made you feel whole and comfortable. I wondered for a moment whether or not she knew about what had happened to me, but ignored the thought. I think I'd rather not know whether she knew the truth; ignorance is bliss.
In talking with Viola, I learned that Gino was quite the chubby child, and I was promised a scrapbook day with her soon - to Gino's dismay, of course. I knew that Gino had a spotty relationship with his mother, but it comforted me to see how familiar he was with his Nonna. Growing up without a grandma, I have to say, I was a little jealous of how much she was beaming with pride about her grandson the entire night.
After we finished our main dish, everyone ordered dessert. This was a luxury that I was still trying to get used to while eating out. I still couldn't read anything from the menu, but whatever it was that the waitress sat in front of me, smelled delicious. It took everything in me not to devour it in a matter of three bites.
"Well, this evening has been lovely, but I believe it's getting to be your Nonna's bedtime," Sal said, grinning at his wife.
"Oh, please, we all know who the old man is," she said, laughing, "but yes, I do believe it is time that we get going."
Gino and Sal stood, both heading to pull out our chairs. In that moment, I saw a slight similarity in the two. Both tall, slender, sleek; there's no doubting the fact that Gino's mannerisms came from his grandfather. Neither looked like killers. But what are killers supposed to look like?
I stood, and embraced Nonna in a hug as the men shook hands. Sal slowly made his way toward me, a little wary because of what had happened before, I'm sure. He leaned in just as he did before, and the cologne wafted into my face. Before I knew it, that familiar smell was all over me and the air had left my lungs. I reached backward, searching for my chair, but all I found was Gino's arms. It felt like there was a fire in my chest, and I couldn't hold myself up. My eyes went foggy, and then gray. I couldn't see anything. I cried out, "Gino, I can't see!"
"I'm right here, baby," he said, holding my face. It felt like there was cement below me, he must have laid me down on the ground. I was still trying to catch my breath when all of a sudden, that frightening tingling feeling took over my throat.
Oh no.
Before I could say a word, I began heaving. Gino sat me up, but my vision was still blurry.
"Right here, baby, there's a bowl right here," he said, just in time. Throwing up has to be one of the worst feelings in the world, but it only intensifies when you're doing so in a room full of strangers.

---

"Yeah, Nonna, she's fine now," I heard Gino say. "Yes, I will keep a close eye on her... okay, love you, too, Nonna," he said, finally hanging up the phone.
Gino came into the bedroom and sat at the edge of the bed, his mouth was straight and his eyes were red.
"Mila, I just, I don't know how to help," he said, sounding defeated. "What do you think caused that tonight?"
I had a lingering thought in the back of my mind, but I tried pushing it away. "It was just something about that cologne, it just took me somewhere I couldn't control," I said.
"Well, I'm the only man in the Goretti family that doesn't sport that god-awful cologne, and I guess we know why now," he said, trying to make light of the situation.
He was probably right, it was probably just too strong of a cologne, and I just wasn't used to it. For all I knew, Papa had never even put cologne on. He just always smelled... manly, if that's a thing. Still, I couldn't shake the feeling that the cologne triggered something. But what?