Chapter 21--Bay

Chapter 21

Bay

Hands grasp at me before shaking my body, wrapping their firm hands around my forearms.

I groan and struggle to open my eyes. Whoever tries to get me coherent knows I am okay. Well, I'm okay to some extent. I force my eyes wide open to see why the person appears so frantic to wake me. I see through blurred vision that I've been pinned by a fallen bench that had originally been bolted to the wall of the bus before we crashed. Oh, that's right.

The bus crashed.

My vision continuously sways from left to right, unable to focus. I lay absolutely still, pinned by the bench and several Jotunn bodies that lay on top of me.

"Bay!" The voice belongs to Ridge, "Thank God you're okay!"

"Of course I'm okay, Rocky." I grumble, "Help me out."

He pulls me out from beneath the bench and bodies. I'm covered in blood and it makes me nauseous to think that not all of this blood belongs to me. All around me lie the bodies of the Warriors I slaughtered. The bus rests on its side, so the bodies are all tossed to the one side of the bus, piled up in random locations.

Everything hurts. My limbs feel like lead but my legs feel different entirely—whereas my arms are so heavy but my legs are as if they lack bones. My head spins and my vision remains blurred for the most part. My visions spins so terribly that I feel as if I might throw-up. So many things I want to do but find out I don't have time to do anything. All I can do is worry about what's to come.

"Bay, we really need—" Ridge begins.

"Where is Casper?"

"Over there," he points to my left. "We need to get him and—"

I walk off while Ridge is mid-sentence to go and retrieve Casper. I kneel beside him to find him pinned beneath two Warriors and coated in a red, sticky substance. More blood. I swallow hard as I push vivid memories of my father's death back before placing my fingers on his neck to take a pulse. A heartbeat greets my fingertips. I sigh in relief. Thank God. I grab his wrists and try to tug him free only to fall on my butt as a result. My strength in this moment is nonexistent. I huff and roll my eyes before trying again.

"Pebbles, help me out, here!"

Ridge comes over and grasps Casper's wrists, tugging him out in one go. "Zachary, I really think—" He tries to talk again but I focus my attention solely on Casper.

"Bunk!" I shout and shake him. He shoots up with blood-shot eyes staring back at me.

"Huh?" He blurts, looking around in a confused stupor.

"You okay?"

"Mmm," he moans, rubbing his head.

"Guys, not to interrupt, but—" Ridge says but we both ignore him.

"What happened?" Casper murmurs.

"Bus crashed." I answer.

"Are we dead?"

"Guys," Ferryweather growls, impatience evident in his tone of voice.

"Perfectly alive," I assure the Nebraskan.

"Guys?"

"Are you sure?" His speech slurs, eyes drooping.

"Positive," I chuckle as I pat him gently on the cheek.