Chapter 16

A/N: And a second update because I had this written a while ago but it took us some time to reach this. How are you doing? Ready for Endgame? I should have another update later this week addressing the time lapse between Infinity War and Endgame.

"Steve?" Maria rushed out of the palace doors and over to the battered group. "Where's T'Challa?"

Okoye stepped forward and shook her head. "He," she stopped, tears threatening to spill over her face.

Maria stepped closer to her and touched her arm. "Some people, they turned into dust." Her eyes searched the team. "It happened to Shuri."

"My king as well," Okay whispered. "Where is the Queen mother?"

"In the council room with M'Baku." Maria replied. "You should go to them."

Okoye nodded and took off without another word. Maria cautiously looked at Steve.

"Who else did we lose?" She whispered fearfully.

"Sam." Rhodey answered.

"Wanda." Nat added.

"Vision," Bruce started, "but we have his body. No dust."

"Groot." A small voice said.

Maria looked at the raccoon-like creature standing next to the muscular man she assumed was Thor.

"His tree," Thor added in somberly.

Maria nodded not understanding who they referred to. Her eyes kept looking for one person but she didn't see him.

"Steve?" Her lips wobbled as realization started to sink in.

Steve looked at her, completely broken. He couldn't lift his arm to touch her or comfort her. He could barely speak; saying the words would likely break him.

"Where is he, Steve?" Her voice stumbled.

"Mari," he whispered. His strength failed him and he couldn't finish speaking. A tear rolled down his cheek.

Maria took a step back and covered her mouth. "No," she shook her head. "No." She breathed out.

Steve managed a step forward with Natasha standing beside him, her arm around his waist.

"He's gone." Steve choked out. "Turned right into dust." Tears streamed down his face now. He tried reaching out to touch her but she slapped his hand away.

"No!" She shouted. She reached out and pushed him away. "No!"

"Maria," Natasha warned.

"It's my fault," Thor spoke up quickly. "I should have taken Thanos' head off."