Remembrance

For bleuebellebleue , who will never realise how much I really owe her. Thanks, Snaccie.

Marinette's POV

I was out on the streets for once. Glancing about, I allowed myself to submerge myself in memories at the sight of the Parisian sunset, framed around the Eiffel Tower. I used to sit there, a figure clad in a red supersuit, covered in black spots.

The Eiffel Tower was where my life began, and ended.

I remember sitting on the highest platform where people could not go. I'd swung my legs there, oh so long ago, with my other half by my side.
Then, I had been needed, had been wanted. I'd been loved by all in Paris, except the one who I'd put in jail. The one who I hadn't known. The one whose family I'd broke - if their family was even truly a family, instead of evil and good spending time under a single roof.

Well, until they didn't.

I remember staring him down the first time I had met him, before I'd had to live with the knowledge who he was. I remember his son encouraging me to declare our whole's purpose, and doing so.
I remember saving so many from the reaches of his evil. Indeed, we'd maybe personally met everyone in Paris before it was over. I remembered standing before him for the first time, scared out of my mind that our whole would not be enough.

I remember stumbling and tripping over my other half's original half, my cheeks flushing red at the sight of my desired.

I remember being the ying in her yin, she being a steady rock, but not quite my half. Not my half in the same way he was.

I remember losing my half to his father, the only concrete thing left of him being me and the gift he had left me with within.

I remember my last Lucky Charm, unhindered by my half's ill luck. I remember being told that it was the fate of his kind.

I remember telling them to leave and never come back. Losing the spots, the earrings… but it was fitting, that everything that gave me joy be stolen from me when he was stolen from me.

I remember conquering the fashion world as the head of Agreste for nine short months.

I remember trading lives with our child, born whole and not half as we were. I remember thanking Tikki for that good fortune, knowing she would not be fated to die for her half, as he had.

I remember staring up at the sky that last time, missing the touch of the sky, flying on a string.

I fly a different way now, and I no longer miss the touch of the sky.
What would've been, if my half and I had not been fated as we were? Would we be alive now, Adrien and I walking alongside our child, her life happy as mine had been? Would Alya and Nino still laugh, still achieving their dreams instead of being crippled by grief and settling for easy jobs that would not require them to force smiles? Would our Emma not have been an orphan, her life happy and whole instead of sad and shattered?

I wish I could know. Instead, me being as I am, I can only remember. I can only drift the skies of Paris, haunting our city. Existing in this way I do, I can only remember what has been.

Basically this is just a mountain of angsty self-indulgence that no one (except me) wanted.

You're welcome.

~ Neymara