Crash Course: Miraculous Ladybug

This chapter is brought to you by theminervabookclub and by Witto150 .

I recognize that some people reading this may be unaware of the lore of Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Chat Noir, the show this one-shot collection was written for. So allow me to introduce you to the cast of characters that will be appearing throughout this story.

Our protagonist and deuteroganist respectively have the given names Marinette Dupain-Cheng and Adrien Agreste. However, when Paris is threatened by an akumatized villain, they turn into the superheroes Ladybug and Chat Noir, with the help of their kwamis and their Miraculouses. Akumatized villains are created when an object of theirs has been possessed by an akuma, a black butterfly that allows the villain Hawk Moth, (who has the Butterfly Miraculous) to control them through a sort of mind link and give them superpowers. Kwamis are small magical beings that are themed like animals and represent Concepts. Marinette's kwami, Tikki, looks like a little ladybug and she is the kwami of Creation and Good Luck. Plagg, her Black Cat counterpart, is a small black-purple kitten with the power of Destruction and Bad Luck. As a result, Ladybug's special superpower is her Lucky Charm, which gives her an object that allows her to complete her objective and the Miraculous Ladybug power attached to the Lucky Charm, which allows Ladybug to repair any damage caused by the other Miraculous. In addition, Ladybug's yo-yo functions as a way to purify Amoks and akumas released by the Butterfly and Peacock Miraculouses. Meanwhile, Chat Noir has his Cataclysm, which allows him to destroy ANYTHING (including a Miraculous) that he touches. When either Lucky Charm or Cataclysm is called, our teenaged heroes have to leave the scene before 5 minutes pass, lest their powers melt away and their identities end up revealed (it is made clear that Hawk Moth and his partner in crime, Mayura, do not have this same limit due to being adults).

As a brief intermission, there are four more significant Miraculous other than those three. The Fox Miraculous grants the power of illusion and its kwami is Trixx. It's power is called Mirage, allowing the user to summon any illusion they can imagine. The Turtle Miraculous provides the power to protect and its kwami is Wayzz. Its power is called Shell-ter, and makes a forcefield around as many people as the holder pleases. The Bee Miraculous' kwami is (very predictably) named Pollen, and her Concept is that of subjection - which is to say, forcing another into obedience/submission. Its power is Venom, which immobilizes any opponent. Finally, the Peacock Miraculous. Its kwami is Duusu and its power is to create Sentimonsters, which are created depending on the feelings of the one who owns the Amokized object (which is to say, the object the Peacock's feather (which is known as an Amok)).

But I've gone on a bit of a tangent there. Hawk Moth's secret identity is Gabriel Agreste, just so you know.
Yes, the same family of Agrestes as our hero Adrien. In fact, Gabriel's his father (and Marinette's idol). In addition, they both live in the same house as Mayura, who's civilian identity is Nathalie Sancoeur, Gabriel's assistant.

Must make for nice family dinners.

BUT JOKES ON YOU, BECAUSE GABRIEL NEVER JOINS ADRIEN FOR DINNER!

He wants the Ladybug and Chat Noir Miraculous to revive his wife Emilie, who appears to be on life support and on the brink of death. You see, when combined those two Miraculous can grant the power to shape reality. But there's a price to pay - the universe will rebalance itself somehow.
If he manages to revive Emilie, someone is going to take her place in her... state of perpetual unconscious.

In the romance "subplot", we watch Marinette stammer and trip and be generally awkward around her wonderfully oblivious crush - Adrien. Meanwhile, Adrien flirts with Ladybug every night as Chat Noir, because he's madly in love with his Lady (that's what he calls Ladybug). They make for an endlessly frustrating love square comprised of four ships - Marichat, Ladynoir, Adrienette, and Ladrien. That's why I've written all these oneshots tho - I'm absolutely OBSESSED, it's not even funny at this point.

Quick aside about Alya, Chloe, and Nino - Alya is SUPER-IMPORTANT. She's Marinette's best friend. She also runs the Ladyblog, a blog dedicated to laying out everything she knows about Ladybug and Chat Noir and finding out their true identities. She's a bit pushy and nosey when it comes to what she wants, and a definite shipper. She's an brave, kind, and encouraging presence who ALWAYS is at odds with Chloe. She also doubles as Rena Rouge, holder of the Fox Miraculous, when Ladybug and Chat Noir need help on a particularly difficult villain. Only her boyfriend and Ladybug know who she is.

Oh, Chloe. Chloe, Chloe, Chloe...
Chloe is the Dumb Rude Blonde™. She's caused many akumas due to her rudeness. She's very vain... Among other things. She loves her mother very much and wishes for her approval dearly. However, Audrey isn't exactly the best role model. Chloe has a best friend named Sabrina who she quite blatantly abuses, treating her as a secretary a lot of the time. She's Adrien's oldest friend. She's... Ah, well, I'll leave it there. My Queen is a tad bit hard to explain unless you've seen her in action.
However, she is currently going through a redemption! She has to, as the rare appearing Queen Bee, holder of the Bee Miraculous and the only of our heroes whose identity is known to all of Paris.

Nino is Alya's boyfriend... He's a dorky DJ who acts very much like Marinette on occasion. He doesn't tend to be very important, honestly, especially in comparison to his girl. He is important enough, however, to have received the Turtle Miraculous on a battle-by-battle basis, often appearing alongside Rena Rouge. She is aware of his identity, as is Ladybug.

That's about it for now. I hope this was illuminating for any future readers who come into this with NO IDEA what's going on.

Buzzing off,

- Queen Honey 🐝 (Neymara)