Chapter 29

Cora's Point of View

My staff seemed to absorb the corrupt sludge, since the silver moon turned black as Nightmare returned to his original form. Of course that didn't mention the fact that he was screaming throughout the entire process. Like I had told him, it hurt a lot. I retracted the weapon from his soul and he gripped at his chest. My friends surrounded me in an attempt to protect me from any danger.

"Take your friends and get out of here. This is the only chance you get." I decided to show Nightmare MERCY. It's what PaperJam would want me to do. "Take your friends and get out. If I ever find out that you're tormenting the multiverse again, then I won't hesitate to dust you all."

Nightmare looked up at me with tears in his eye sockets. "I-I promise I won't do anything like that again. Thank you so much."

"Gradient." My friend jumped at the sound of my voice. "Let them go. We're SPARING them."

Gradient also brought down the urn with PJ's dust. My team was silent as the enemies were released and allowed to wonder about the Multiverse. I could sense their grief as we stood together.

"What are we going to tell our parents," Palette muttered softly. "How can we tell them that their star child is dead?" Tears fell down all of our cheek bones.

A warped voice spoke from behind me,"Maybe I can help with this." I whipped around to look for the one who spoke but I was met with only darkness. I could feel the confused gazes of my friends and family.

"Coraline? Is something wrong?" Incubux rested his skeletal hand on my shoulder.

"No," I glanced at him. There was worry evident in his gaze, just like everyone else's. "Everything's fine..." My voice trailed off at the end of that sentence. That was a lie. I lost the one I loved in battle. I could have protected him. I should have protected him. Dammit, why didn't I protect him!

My staff clattered to the ground as I curled up into myself. There was the sound of glass breaking but I didn't care. My sharpened distals dug into both my right and left humeruses as I held myself. The only thing that penetrated the silence of Nightmare's throne room was my pained sobs. Through these sobs, I sang.

Seems like it was yesterday when I saw your faceYou told me how proud you were, but I walked awayIf only I knew what I know todayOoh, ooh
I would hold you in my armsI would take the pain awayThank you for all you've doneForgive all your mistakesThere's nothing I wouldn't doTo hear your voice againSometimes I wanna call youBut I know you won't be there
Ohh I'm sorry for blaming youFor everything I just couldn't doAnd I've hurt myself by hurting you
Some days I feel broke inside but I won't admitSometimes I just wanna hide 'cause it's you I missAnd it's so hard to say goodbyeWhen it comes to this
Would you tell me I was wrong?Would you help understand?Are you looking down upon me?Are you proud of who I am?
There's nothing I wouldn't doTo have just one more chanceTo look into your eyesAnd see you looking back
Ohh I'm sorry for blaming youFor everything I just couldn't doAnd I've hurt myself, ohh
If I had just one more dayI would tell you how much that I've missed youSince you've been awayOoh, it's dangerousIt's so out of lineTo try and turn back time
I'm sorry for blaming youFor everything I just couldn't doAnd I've hurt myself by hurting you
My sobs wracked my entire body but still I felt arms wrap around me. I was pulled into someone's lap and held against their chest. All of the actions reminded me of PaperJam and just made me cry harder. The only time I ever cried this much was when my mother died. Wait...

I brought my mother back to life with my powers. What if I could do that with him? But when I revived my mother, I had a part of her soul. What can I do?

I rested against the warm chest of whoever was holding me. My mind was running a mile a minute. That is, it was until the person holding me chuckled. I knew that voice. My head shot up faster than I could register my own movements. Of course because of this I smacked my foreskull against my holder's.

"Fuck," he cried out. "I come back and the first thing you do is hit me?"

It was him. That damned sexy black-boned skeleton. Everything was the same. The same magenta colored eyes, yellow and blue irises. The same yellow and orange paint splotch birthmarks on his cheekbones. The same, signature, letterman jacket with his initials on the front. It was my PaperJam. It felt like a dream.

"I didn't cry myself to sleep, did I? Because if I did then this is very cruel, Dream." PaperJam chuckled again at my comment. Then, he kissed me. I could feel his teeth against mine, I could feel the heat of his hand as he cupped my cheek but most importantly, I could feel his soul beat in his chest.

"This isn't a dream," he muttered against my teeth. "I'm back." My smile only grew but I could feel my brow bones furrow.

"That's good cause now I can do this," I smacked his ribcage repeatedly. "How,"hit

"Can,"hit

"You," hit

"Be,"hit

"So,"hit

"Stupid!?" Cil grabbed my arm before I could the laughing teenager again.

"Calm down. You're gonna dust him again." She looked tired, as did the others. I got up and hugged them all.

"How exactly did you come back?" I pulled PJ to his feet.

"I'm not sure, honestly. I remember seeing you and feeling my body disintegrate and then there was complete darkness. When I opened my eyes, I was greeted with your broken sobs and soul-filled singing." The group stared at him with confusion in their gazes.

"Well, he's back now and we should be grateful for that." Moonlight hugged me from behind and Incubux stayed near us.

"We need to get back. It's almost dinner time." Gradient smiled at his own joke. Cil clapped PJ on the back, like she did when we first met, and Palette hugged onto PJ's arm.

"Hold on guys," I looked at them all. "You realize what happens when we make it back right?" Palette's face falls.

"RESET." I nodded softly.

"The timeline will be reset as soon as Ink corrects the code."

"That means they won't remember this, doesn't it?" Again, I nodded.

"Unfortunately." Palette sighed sadly at my words but the voice from earlier cut it short.

"Not necessarily."