Chapter 17

Chapter 17 - Briar's POV

I headed up to the lifeguard tower from the promenade, and once I mustered up the courage I opened the door and headed in. I walked around the medical bay and up the stairs to see both Jesse and Maxi watching the water through the binos. Maxi noticed me walk in and turned around in his seat.

"Your personal therapists are ready and raring to go, what problem do you have now?" Maxi asked, Jesse turned around and took his eyes off the water, not the smartest thing to do but it wasn't terribly busy considering it's only eight in the morning. 

I was still on edge from the whole thing, now that it's really settled in I have no fucking clue what to do, "very funny Maxi but this is the most serious thing I'm ever going to tell you, I have no idea what to do."

"Is this about you not surfing again?" Jesse asked, I looked at him confused and then I shook my head.

"Well I guess that cat's out of the bag, I'm never telling Emily anything ever again," I rolled my eyes, "anyways that's not what it's about. So let me give you two a hypothetical-"

"So this isn't real?" asked Maxi, I shook my head.

"Jesus christ Maxi can you just pretend for a second?" I asked anxiously, Maxi put his hands out and gestured me to calm down, he then shook his head.

"Say someone you've known for practically your entire life tells you something that maybe you wanted to hear along time ago but that thing will change their relationship today? Like instead of being friends, you'd be more than friends and you know, you never thought of them like that." I explained as vaguely as possible hoping that the don't catch on that it is Max I'm talking about, they shared looks of uncertainty. Maxi turned around and started watching the water again, Jesse was thinking but honestly I wasn't giving them much to work off of.

"Do you want to hear my honest opinion?" Jesse asked, I shook my head 'yes', "I think that you're taking what ever it is out of proportion, just do what you feel is right."

"Damn it, you two are no help what so ever," I responded throwing myself into one of the open seats, Jesse shook his head as he faced back towards the beach and used the binos to watch. 

"Ditch the hypotheticals and tell us the real dirt!" Maxi replied, "then we'll be able to give you useful advice!"

"If I told you what's actually going on then you're going to tell my dad and he might actually like the idea, and I honestly don't know if I want that," I responded.

"We won't tell him," Jesse answered, I shook my head.

"No, trust me, it's better I keep it a secret because it's going to slip whether you meant it or not," I told them, "I'm just gonna go get some sleep before I have to go back to working-"

"See ya!" they said in unison and I headed back to my dad's house, still not sure as to what I was going to do with the Max situation.

-

My eyes were starting to grow very heavy as I laid across my dad's couch. It was quiet, super quiet in fact. I was the only one home as my dad was at work, Billy at school and Emily had Leo with her while she did some errands. I should not have any trouble sleeping what so ever, yet here I am lying awake to the sound of my thoughts. Just as my body was finally ready to go to sleep, my phone started ringing.