Chapter 7

"I remember" my father was choking on his tears and the silence of the prisoners stilled as they, too, wanted to hear what my father remembers.

"What is it?" I had tried to step closer to him, but Edith stopped me by grabbing my arm, an act my father didn't like.

He gave Edith another glare.

"Out with it, Andrew" Edith said impatiently with a yawn, her hold on me not loosening, even for a bit.

"Please, don't make me do this" the hard glare on my father's eyes immediately softened as he tried to beg Edith. But, just like the night that Edith defiled me, she was far from hearing.

One of Edith's hands started to creep up on my back, and she wasn't being discreet about  it.

"Father, please just tell it already" Now I'm the one begging him. I can see how whatever Edith is doing affects him and the state he's in, and I want it all to stop.

My father shook his head.

Like I have said before, my father is a proud man, but he is also humble. So it's very unnerving to see him in such state. What is it that he remembers that has made him act like this.

Throughout his time of being King, my father didn't do anything other than protect his country and his people, but he did it in a proper way so he doesn't have anything to be scared of...

And that's where I was wrong.

Edith's hold on me started tightening again, but, this time, it's really starting to hurt, and my father saw me wince in pain so, in order to make Edith stop, he started talking.

"I know you" My father started with a whisper.

Know who?

"Speak up" Edith demanded with an authoritative voice.

She pulled me even closer to her, but I barely noticed because I was anticipating the words that would come out of my father's mouth next.

"I know who Edith Cordelia is... along with some of his men" he continued, and gasps and murmurs were immediately heard from the listening audience, except for me and the vampires.

How can he know Edith? He wasn't even born when Edith was declared dead.

"My grandfather, the old King, has been informed that another country will be attacking and, with the number of soldiers that time and our equipment, we were bound to lose."

Once again the crowd was silent, but I could see the other vampires become agitated by my father's story

"He was desperate... and if you knew what were to happen then, you would be, too"

A scoff immediately sounded from Edith which took the attention from my father for a little more than a second.

"Stop defending your family" she sneered and it seems to have fueled the other vampires as I can see them itching to lunge at my father, but Edith stopped them.

"It was then that a  group of scientists and a doctors went to him to propose a plan"

"More like an experiment" Another vampire interrupted and you could instantly hear the anger and sadness that are laced in his voice.

"Yes, it was an experiment" My father admitted with a sigh, which caused another eruption of whispering from the other people.

"What was it?" I finally found my voice to ask and I could see the pain on my father's face intensify even before he started answering my question.