Velma x reader (Guy's side) Chapter 4: Love in the air?

(Y/N) POV:

The skies were blue, and  the sun shined high up in the sky, making it a beautiful day, especially for mine and the gang's first day of work. While the girls were assigned to set up the dining tables (at least that's what I think they are), Fred, Shaggy and I were told to help people learn how to golf. I know that Shaggy's my best friend, and I want to support him, but I can't help how I feel about Velma. Which is why, while Shaggy isn't looking, busy helping one of our customers, I decide to use this opportunity to ask Fred for advice, since him and Daphne are together.

"Getting much better distance on those woods, sir," Fred says to one of the customers, who  once again missed his shot by hitting the ball into a tree.

"Hey, uh, Fred, can I talk to you about something, man-to-man?" I ask.

"Sort of,"

"Well, you and Daphne," I try to say, while making sure not to give anything away. "Is that something you recommend?"

"What do you mean?" Fred asks, confused.

"Well, you know, going from having, uh, you know, a girl friend to a girlfriend," I try to clarify.

Understanding the meaning behind my words, Fred gives his answer. "I don't know if I'd really call Daphne my girlfriend, (N/N). You know it's more casual than that. We're just, um...We're hanging out. I'm just not the relationship type. I'm a  football player, we like to, uh, play the  field. Anyway, it's summer, (Y/N)," Fred says.

"Oh, yeah, summer. Totally," I say with a smile, trying to hide my disappointment. Not sure what else to do, I try a different approach. "Because who'd want a girlfriend during daylight-savings time?"

"Good guess, but what I'm saying is summer's a time you just wanna have fun. Not get so  serious. Daphne's cool, she feels the same way,"  says Fred.

"Like, wow, it sounds like you two are on the same wave-length," I says, not liking the answers I'm getting, thinking this was a waste of time.

"But out of curiosity, why ask?" Fred asks, looking confused.

"Promise not to tell anyone?" I ask. When Fred nods his, promising not to tell, I let out a sigh, having no other choice but to come clean. "Well, you see, there's this girl that I really like...And I mean, really like, like. But there's also someone else that likes her, too. So, I figured that since you and Daphne are together, I might get some advice on how to get her to notice me,"

When I finished explaining my reasons, Fred has a look of understanding. "Oh, I get it, now. Well, not sure if this is going to be much help, but...if you really want her to notice you, try to show off a little,"

"Show off?" I ask, confused.

"Basically, if you want her to notice you, take the first step of asking her to hang out with you, before the other guy does; spend time with her," Fred explains, giving his advice. "Look, if you really do like her that badly, then make the first move, don't let the other guy do it. Think of it as a competition. You and this other guy are the competitors, and the girl you like is the winning goal. Got it?"

"Not sure how far that's going to get me, but I'll try and take your word for it," I say, unsure about Fred's advice.

Once our shifts ended, I didn't waste any time on making a run for it, wanting to ask Velma if she wanted to hang out with me or not, as quickly as possible.

Once I saw her, I called out to her. "Hey, Velma!"

"Hi, (Y/N). What's up?" she asks.

"Oh, uh, nothing much," I say, rubbing the back of my neck, trying not to blush at the sight of her.