xiii. mall trips

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
captain america: the winter soldier

        STEVE WALKED BACK INTO the hospital, decked out in a new outfit, disguised as a civilian

        STEVE WALKED BACK INTO the hospital, decked out in a new outfit, disguised as a civilian. He walked up to the vending machine, only to find what he was looking for was gone.

He looked in the reflection of the glass, seeing Luna standing behind him, chewing gum. He angrily grabbed her arm, and pushed her into the nearest closet, slamming her into the wall.

"Whew, if you wanted to get frisky, this is not the place, Cap." Luna joked. Steve looked at her, to amused.

"Where is it?" He angrily asked.

"Safe." Luna answered.

"Do better!" He demanded.

"Where did you get it?" She asked.

"Why would I tell you?" Steve glared.

"Because I'm your girlfriend, and usually, when two people are in a relationship, they tell each other things." She looked at him dead in the eyes, "I know you're still kind of new to this, but in this generation, we tell each other things." She told him, "Fury gave it to you. Why?"

"What's on it?" Steve asked.

"I don't know." She answered.

"Stop lying!" He shouted.

"I know I act like I know everything, but I don't." She told him.

"I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" He asked.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you." She shrugged.

"I'm not gonna ask you again." He demanded.

"I know who killed Fury. Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years." She explained.

"So he's a ghost story."

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me." She pulled up up her shirt, showing him a scar, "Soviet slug, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis."

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now." He joked, and she rolled her eyes.

"Going after him is a dead end. I know, I've tried." Luna told him honestly, and held up the flash drive, "Like you said, he's a ghost story." He took it from her.