xxviii. aunt peggy

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
captain america: civil war

        ALL OF THE AVENGERS were sitting at a table, Secretary Ross standing in front of them, "Five years ago, I had a heart attack

ALL OF THE AVENGERS were sitting at a table, Secretary Ross standing in front of them, "Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing." He began.

"Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective."

"The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some... who would prefer the word "vigilantes"."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked.

"How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

Ross activated a screen behind him, and news footage from the past Avengers mission flashed across the screen, "New York." Footage from the battle of New York flashed across the screen.

One of the huge Chitauri snake came barreling through the streets of New York. Terrified people, soldiers firing their guns at the aliens, and the Hulk smashing into buildings. Rhodey turned around, a regretful look on his face as he looked back at Luna.

"Washington DC." Footage from DC popped up. The three helicarriers falling firing at each other, one of the helicarriers crashing into the Potomac, throwing a massive wave onto the people trying to run away.

"Sokovia." Footage from Sokovia flashed on the screen. The city literally flying, off the ground. Buildings crumbling and falling to the ground, terrified citizens running.

"Lagos." Footage from a month prior popped up. The burning building, paramedics moving a dead body, and a dead women. Wanda, who was shaken up by the whole situation, looked down.

"Okay. That's enough." Steve nodded, taking notice to the way Wanda reacted. Ross nodded to an aide, who followed orders and the footage and images disappeared.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He placed a thick document on the table, and passed it to Wanda.

She looked over the cover of the document, then handed it over to Rhodey, "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries... it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary." He explained.