xlvii. goodbye, my friend

CHAPTER FOURTY-SEVEN
avengers: endgame

        LUNA AND STEVE RETURNED home and heard pitter pattering of feet and they dropped their stuff, "Mommy!" Maggie shouted

"Oh, baby." Luna said, dropping to her knees, hugging her daughter for the first time in five years. Steve bent down and hugged his daughter. The three of them hugged.

"Something happened, or something. I think I passed out or something. I don't remember, but it was quick. I started disappearing and then I woke up and I was home." Maggie explained to her parents.

"We know." Steve said.

"Did you save the world?" Maggie asked and the couple looked at each other.

"Yeah. We did, babygirl." Luna said.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back, it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited, I hope we get it back, and something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe, now."

"If you told me ten years ago that we weren't alone, let alone, you know, to this extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised. But come on, you know? The epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And, for better or worse, that's the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in."

"So I thought I'd probably better record a little greeting... In the case of an untimely death on my part. I mean, not that, death at any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow, it's... it's got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. That's the thing.

"Then again, that's the hero gig. Part of the journey is the end. What am I even trippin' for? Everything's gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to. I love you 3,000." Tony smiled, looking right at his daughter.

Outside, everyone was gathered to say their final goodbyes to Tony. Pepper walked outside, carrying a wreath out of the house, Morgan's hand linked with hers. On top of the wreath was Tony's first arc reactor, which was framed with the words "Proof that Tony Stark has a heart,".

Everyone watched as the wreath floated into the sky. Happy, Rhodey, Steve, Luna, Maggie, Peter, May, Thor, Bruce, Doctor Strange, Wong, Scott, Hope, Janet, Hank Pym, Peter Quill, Nebula, Rocket, Groot, Mantis, Drax, T'Challa, Okoye, Shuri, Clint and his family, Wanda, Bucky, Sam, Haley, Secretary Ross, Maria, Carol and Nick Fury watched silently as the wreath floated away.