Chapter Eight

One by one, each member of my family comes down to eat. 

Eventually, I get off my chair and make my way towards my bedroom. For a while, all I do is search for the pair of trousers I'm sure I had and gradually eat a slice of honeyed bread. When I find my only pair of trousers, I set them out on my bed along with my spare shirt. It was just a pair of denim overalls and a loose white t-shirt, but it'll do. All it looks like was what a typical farm girl would wear. 

For the next half hour, I spend my time flittering around the house. 

Talking to Ellie, getting teased by my brothers and cautiously watching my mother out of the corner of my eye. Her steely glare unnerves me constantly. 

After awhile, my father sets out on his monthly trip out to Goldenrod City. Thankfully, he takes all three of my brothers along with him. 

I've got to thank Jae when he comes back, I guess. It was his idea for them to go. He'd even winked at me as he'd suggested it. 

Does he know of my plans with Parker? Probably, he does. 

Jae's the sort of intuitive person who knows exactly what you're feeling and what you need. 

Soon after, Ellie drags my mother out to the Cherrygrove City market with her. I guess I need to thank Ellie too. Whenever she goes out to the Cherrygrove City market, she always takes forever. All day normally. 

They left out nine in the morning, so they should probably be back by around four this afternoon. 

I've been with them once. The entire day was full of endless shopping, third-wheeling on Ellie and her long-term boyfriend's date, sitting through my mother's suggestion to Ellie about her getting married and eating any random pastry I could find. 

So boring. 

For a few minutes, I rest on the couch. I'm vaguely aware of Parker's eyes on me, but I'm too lost in my thoughts of Pokémon to care. 

Then I come back to life, rushing up the stairs and into my bedroom. I chuck on the shirt and overalls, grabbing a woolen hoodie to tie around my waist. It's gray colour goes well with the white of my shirt and the pale blue of my overalls. 

"Wow, you actually own casual clothing." Parker sarcastically comments as he sees me slide down the stairway railing again. 

I grin excitedly, "Of course I do.".