Book Thirty-Two: 24 Hours

Book Thirty-Two

Title: 24 Hours

Username: DragonsCanBeBeaten

Summary:

Upset, alone and desperate.

The moment she wanders into the streets, she stumbles upon a 24 hour diner at one am. Because she needed someone, at least, to make her feel better.

And that's when she met him. The guy who agreed to spend 24 hours with her, just to know her true identity, and the story behind the tale she told him.

Anything can happen...

2014 Copyright © L.E. McCombs

Excerpt:

"Well, I'm Tristan and you are?"

I don't answer. Instead I say, "You know there's a story of a cornish knight named Tristan and an Irish princess named Isolde. Tristan was supposed to take Isolde from Ireland for his uncle, King Mark, to marry. Tristan and Isolde accidentally swallow a love potion that causes them to fall in love with each other. Isolde marries Mark but because of the love potion she has an ongoing affair with Tristan."

I can tell that Tristan has no idea why I am telling him this story but he lets me continue anyway. "The king finds out about their affair and is furious with them but when he is in the middle of confronting Tristan the castle is attacked. Tristan, who loves his uncle like a father, fights to protect Mark. The attackers are defeated but not without a fight. Tristan was stabbed in the stomach while protecting his uncle. The king calls for Isolde to be rushed to the room immediately. As Tristan lay dying he apologizes for his betrayal. He is forgiven and when Isolde bursts into the room Tristan utters his last words 'You were right. I don't know if life is greater than death. But love was more than either.'"

"Are you trying to tell me that I'm going to die?" Tristan asks me with a mocking smile on his face and I can't help but smile back.

"No," I tell him.

"Then what was the point of your story?" He asks me genuinely curious.

I smile and look up at him, "Ask me again in twenty-four hours."

He looks at me confused, "How am I going to be able to do that?"

"Because you're going to spend the next twenty-four hours with me."

His eyes go wide with surprise and he smirks at me, "What if I said I had better things to do with my next twenty-four hours?"

I leaned in close and looked him straight in the eye. "Then, I would say, I dare you."

Vote for this book if you like it!

Votes needed: Five :)