Book Nine: Bellmaker

Book Nine

Title: Bellmaker

Username: IAmButAWindow

Summary:

He was born to make bells. He was trained to fight wars. But he only wants to find peace. Triv returns to his home after thirteen bitter years abroad, hoping to follow in his deceased father's footsteps. His dreams once again shatter as he finds himself wrapped up in the struggle between a beautiful princess, and the slave of a celestial being. Forced to face his past, Triv must learn what it means to stand alone against evil, or die trying.

Excerpt:

Time had died.

He took the vibrating tuning fork away from the bell. As the resonance faded, the roar of the furnace faded too, as did the sounds outside the foundry: the birds, breeze, and the distant laughter of his son. All around him there was only silence.

A sharp pulsing that had started in his head wormed its way to the rest of his body. Why was it so hard to move his legs? Though coated in sweat and near to collapse, he forced himself to move.

"Triv," he called, his throat scorched and dry. "Son, answer me!" The world was tipsy and unfocused. He wasn't sure if his vision had blurred or if reality itself had changed. He swayed, and collapsed at the door, eyes closing, mind slipping away. No. He must go on. He had to find his son. Renewing his resolve, he stood, ran through the open doors, and scanned the field. No movement. No Triv.

The house. Triv must have gone back to the house. Every step brought a new wave of pain as the pounding drum in his mind grew louder until he thought his head would split in two. There. His heart leapt as he saw a motionless figure lying in the grass. His son.

Vote for this book if you like it!

Votes needed: Five