Book Eight: Seven

Book Seven

Title: Seven

Username: Sophia_vl

Summary:

Answer the following questions honestly.

Would you leave your friends and family in the quest of a doubtful utopia? Would you abandon the comfort of your belongings to seek danger? Would you survive being pushed to your limits?

Would you push aside your fears and morals just to get what you want?

They did.

Excerpt:

Edith's head turned around at the sound of Lucas' voice calling her name from across the crowded hallway. He quickly came and lingered next to her as most of the students were leaving the hallway in large groups, all talking loudly.

'What's going on?' she asked, her eyes rolling around nervously.

'You-you just have to see this,' he answered in a rushed whisper and grabbed her arm a bit too hard. Lucas practically pulled her all the way to the teachers' office. What Edith saw was beyond her limited imagination. Hundreds of pieces of paper were torn and thrown all over the hallway, right outside the office's door. Damaged books, folders with torn-out covers and even a couple broken chairs were also thrown in careless abandon. But as Lucas pushed more and more students out of his way, Edith could now see that destroyed books were only a small part of the actual damage.

The whole front window pane of the office was shattered and cracked in countless shiny pieces that were barely hanging on their place. And on top of those, written in red spray-paint were the words: "NEVER SPEAK OF FREEDOM INSIDE THESE WALLS".

Edith froze and the general murmur around her started to ease down as the principal entered the scene. She did not stare at the damage for more than a second before proceeding to a chilling announcement. Her small yet bright eyes scanned the crowd for any of her friends. Only Felicity and a friend of hers, Cynthia, were there to be seen.

'I can assure you all that those responsible of damaging school propriety will be punished as foreseen in the law. Those students are caught in the film clearly and are not to be attending the school premises ... ever again.'

Edith gulped a mouthful of fear and anxiety mixed with saliva down her pulsing throat. She looked at Lucas and her eyes almost screamed at him but her words were sealed inside her tightly shut lips. 'I know,' he said, not expecting a response. 'They'll be dead by tomorrow.'

Vote for this book if you like it!