Chapter 8

Air Force One (On route to London)

Saturday 30th January 1965

4am

Jack was lying asleep when he felt someone poke his arm. He jumped awake to find Jackie watching him. “Hey are we nearly there?”

“Yeah we are.” Jackie smiled.

Jack nodded and got up. While he dressed Jackie asked him questions. “Are we going to the American Embassy before the funeral?”

“Yeah and we can rest again.” Jack laughed. Jackie smiled.

The American Embassy, London

5am

When they reached the private residence they flopped into bed and fell back asleep.

“Mr President?” The knock came just after seven. Jack groaned and sat up. “I’m awake Kenny.”

“Ok sir, we leave at eight thirty.”

“Yeah.”

Jack ruffled his hair as he turned to his wife. “Morning.”

“Morning Bunny.” Jackie smiled as she rubbed his back. He moaned the pain had been hell lately.

Jack got up and went into the bathroom. Jackie changed into a black shift dress with a matching jacket and shoes. She was brushing her hair and doing her make-up when Jack returned. She helped him into his suit. “Are you okay Jack?”

He nodded. “I’m just nervous. It’s the first funeral I’ve been to since Patrick’s.”

Jackie nodded in understanding and placed her hand on his back. Jack sighed and placed his head against hers. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

9:45am

Westminster Hall

Jack and Jackie stood along with other world leaders including Queen Elizabeth and watched as the former Prime Minister’s coffin left Westminster Hall. The leaders got into cars and followed the flag draped coffin.

As the First Couple’s car travelled slowly through the crowded streets Jackie gently placed her hand on Jack’s knee. He abruptly turned his head to face her. Jackie smiled softly. “Are you okay? You were miles away.”

“I’m fine.”

Jackie nodded.

When they arrived at St Paul’s Cathedral, they were ushered inside. As they walked down the aisle Jack slipped his hand into Jackie’s. She turned to look at him, she knew he was struggling. Once they were seated the funeral began.

As the service began to wrap up Jackie glanced over at her husband, he was rubbing his eyes. She gingerly rubbed his leg. As the coffin was wheeled out everyone stood up.

Jackie took Jack’s arm and they headed out, luckily Jack managed to pull himself together. Clint was waiting at their car. Jack got in and squeezed Jackie’s hand. He didn’t want to cry but Jackie could tell he might.