Chapter 6

The Final Inaugural Ball

2am

Jack and Jackie were sitting close together watching the band on stage. It was the Four Seasons; Frank Sinatra had asked them to play. A lot of people were watching the President and First Lady as they were being very secretive. “Come on Mr President! You’re bound to have had enough to drink to get the courage to ask your wife to dance.” Frank Sinatra yelled from the stage.

Jack looked at the other people on the dance floor and took his wife’s hand. “Would you care to dance Jacqueline?”

Jackie smiled. “I’d love to Jack.”

As they waltzed around the floor the song changed to can’t take my eyes off of you. Jack kept his eyes fixed on Jackie’s, it was the happiest he’d seen her in a while.

When the song ended they pulled back and smiled at each other. Jack kissed her much to her surprise. “See Mr President I knew you were a good dancer!” Frank smiled.

Jackie laughed as Jack turned to glare at Sinatra.

Jack and Jackie went back to their table while everyone else danced. “How do you fancy going home kid?” Jack asked.

Jackie nodded as she yawned.

The White House

Once they got home they went straight to bed. When Jack got in beside Jackie he held her tight. “I enjoyed tonight kid.”

“Me too but I’m exhausted.”

Jack smiled. “Get some sleep.”

“Night.”

Jackie quickly fell asleep but Jack lay awake for a while. When he drifted to sleep it was just after four.

8am

Jack was woken by a loud pounding on the door. “What?” Jack exclaimed. Kenny came in.

“Morning Sir, Jackie. We need you downstairs there’s been troop movement in Vietnam.”

Jack sighed. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

Kenny nodded and left.

Jack turned to Jackie. “It looks like we’re back to normal.”

Jackie nodded. “Very true.”