lost: stenbrough

stan's p.o.v:

" welcome to whimsy's whirlwind of wonders, please keep your hands and feet inside the cart at all times, no unbuckling or standing up until the ride comes to a complete stop." i sighed loudly into the microphone, my tired eyes fluttering shut. " thank you and enjoy your ride. have a wondrous rest of your day at whimsy's wonderland." i shot eddie, one of the other workers at the popular theme park, a sloppy thumbs up, so which he enthusiastically shot me one back and started up the ride. the kids onboard squealed and cheered, their screams and laughs quieting once they were out of sight.

" damn stanley, some enthusiasm you got there. that was super monotonous." trashmouth, another employee i worked with, chortled. he plopped down in the seat beside me, shooting me a pearly white smirk. i rolled my eyes to the back of my head, before laying my head on the rides control panel in front of me. " wow. someone's in a good-"

" just shut up trashmouth. i'm tired." i grumbled, sitting up again and rubbing my droopy eyes with the backs of my fists. i heard him chuckle and saying something else, but i wasn't listening. i looked at the boisterous crowd, all waiting to get on that stupid ride i was forced to spend all of my summers days controlling. along with eddie kaspbrak, and trashmouth tozier.

my mother had told me, as soon as my final exam got back to me with a high score of 94%, that i needed to find a summer job. she said she wouldn't allow me to 'waste my summer away writing about animals.' birds. i wrote about birds. but it's not like i expected my own mother to know that.

i groaned loudly when the ride's cart came around again, the dozen children sitting in the carts chatting loudly. their hair was in tatters, and terror-stricken grins were glued to their young faces. trashmouth chuckled quietly as i turned back on my microphone, watching as eddie chatted happily to the children of whom he was helping with their seatbelts.

" thank you for riding-uh-riding whimsy's whirlwind of wonders. don't forget your personal belongs and remember we're not responsible for any lost or stolen-"

" excuse me?!" an unfamiliar voice said beside me. at first i thought it had belonged to one of our riders, since it was a little kids ride. maybe one of them lost the exit. i sighed quietly, turning to look at the newcomer. boy was i dead wrong.

i struggled to keep my jaw from slacking open, as i stared at the boy beside me. he was around my age, a year younger at most. he had sparkling emerald eyes, which were wide and possibly tearful. his feathery auburn hair was in tatters atop of his head, as if he was constantly carding his fingers nervously through it. his lean frame was heaving slightly, as if he'd been running for ages.

" uh-i-um hi th-there." i said, cracking a shaky grin. i heard trashmouth snicker, and i resisted the urge to spin around and kick him to tomorrow. " w-what do you need-"

" ilostmylittlebrotherand i need someone's help finding him!" he practically yelled, and i finally took notice of how scared that cutie seemed. i inhaled deeply, puffing out my chest slightly as i jumped up from my stool.

" no worries, i'll help you." i said, hearing trashmouth snicker again. it was a good thing he went by trashmouth, and not whatever his real name was, otherwise i would've tracked him down outside of work and made his home life a living hell. i spun around and glared at him. " you got this one trashmouth?" i said, noting that he was already flicking on the microphone.

" yea yea no worries." he said, wiggling his eyebrows at me as if he knew exactly what i thought about the cutie i was helping out. i rolled my eyes at him, before turning back to the boy. he looked even more distressed, so i shot him a warm smile. " so where'd you last see hi-"

" this way." he said, entwining his hand with mine as he sprinted away from the dreadful ride i had to conduct on the daily. my cheeks went red, and i silently preyed that my palms weren't too sweaty, as i struggled to keep up with him. " w-w-we were in line for c-cotton candy, and i t-t-turned away for a s-s-second and when i l-looked back he was gone!" he cried upon arrival at one of the big parks small snack booths.